Prologue- Saving Summer

---------------------------------------------------

Summer POV:

I tore through the forest as fast as my legs could carry me, pounding the soft undergrowth with my paws as I escaped from who-knows-what to who-knows-where. There was so much going on around me that I found it hard to breathe, as if the cacophony of noises was somehow weighing down the air around me. I bent below fallen trees, leapt over large bushes and carefully avoided the clusters of viciously fighting wolves.

As I glided past a large pool of water I caught a fleeting glimpse of myself; silver fur ruffling in the wind as I paced forward, my electric orange eyes glistening in the moonlight, as war raged on all around me.

I came to a halt at the beginning of a clearing, not sure where to go next. To my right, a messy brawl had broken out between 2 golden wolves and 3 silver ones, one of which I recognised as my father, from his domineering figure (he was at least twice as big as the others) and the unmissable scar dissecting his left eye.

To my left was a huge silver wolf being torn apart by two smaller golden ones, both working together and using their combined weight to keep the struggling mass of fur on the floor as they tore chunk after chunk of blood red flesh from it's undercarriage, painting the soil a crimson colour. As much as I felt for the silver wolf, I could do little to help. I was a female wolf, and a runt at that; a genetic failure. I shook my head, trying to clear the negativity away. I needed my head at a time like this.

Ahead of me seemed clear. I took a deep breath and leapt out from the shrubbery, hoping to reach the other side before being noticed.

How naive I was.

Before I had barely taken a step, a figure landed in front of me. I leant onto my back legs, stunned, as the future stood proudly in front of me, his golden fur shimmering in the light skipping off the ground, wet from the blood of his fallen allies and foes. I realised too late that he was the enemy and I was out in the open. His hard, orange eyes pierced mine.

And I had never seen anything more beautiful in my entire life. I saw his eyes widen too, as the same effect took over him, as well. I knew it had, I just felt it. This was my mate, I had never been so sure of something in my life.

I leaned into him subconciously, until we were almost touching. He didn't resist, just stared at me with his eyes. Those glorious eyes...Just a little further....

A ferocious roar broke his gaze, as he looked towards the source of the noise. He looked at me again, clearly torn, but a second roar sounded, and he was gone, leaving only dust in his wake. I watched him leave, and saw him look back one last time, before he disappeared, and the forest green was all I could see.

I felt sick. My stomach dropped, and I felt like I was that silver wolf from earlier, being torn to pieces, turned inside out. I barely heard my father's powerful footsteps from behind me. 'It's over for now. We have much to discuss at the packhouse', he told me via our mind link. 'Come.' And I followed him, not looking back.

For what was there to look at? I had failed my parents in being a runt and already been abandoned by my mate.

I truly was worthless.

----------

Jared POV:

'Fall back to starting positions!' I heard my father sound over the clan mind link, as I sped away. I sent him a virtual acknowledgement, as did the other members. And yet, I wasn't running towards anything, not even my father. I was running away from that clearing.

Away from her. Her perfect silver fur, basking in the moonlight, the eyes, soft and inviting, full of love, yet with an electric raw power behind them that I had never seen before.

Just as there was a war raging on around us, there was an even bigger one going on between my brain and my heart.

'She's a runt!' cried my brain. 'A useless mutt, not fit for dog food, let alone for the future Alpha of the Golden Crescent!'

'But you only get one mate', my heart pleaded. 'Go back, see the error of your ways. It was meant to be-'

'Hearts break, minds don't. I can live without a runt in my life', I thought to myself. My heart stayed silent, and my brain sat back in glorified smugness. A moment or two passed where all I could hear was the blood running through my veins as I bounded towards my fellow clansmen, before my heart piped up with a response.

'And what is a life without love?' it replied. I stayed silent. My brain did too. Yet there was no retaliating smugness from my heart, no sense of victory; but a feeling of loss, welling up from deep within me, an incurable ache that I knew could only be satisfied with one thing. Or rather, person.

But still I kept running. I couldn't stop; I had been ordered by my Alpha to return, and so return I shall.

For better, or worse.

---------------------------------------------------

Please follow for more, vote and comment. Many Thanks, love you all :)

Alfie <3