Chapter 1

It had been a long day. The day started out alright - at least until Happy got up. Her coffee was too sweet, her breakfast was too soggy and her bike's wheel had been punctured. Sighing, Happy decided to try catch the bus.

After being late to work because of an old lady on the bus asking why she wore so much black and no perfume, Walter told her that the garage had been broken into and all her tools were gone. Cabe suggested Happy go to the nearest hardware store and replace her tools immediately. Toby offered to drive.

"What's bothering you?" Toby asked while sorting through a pile of nuts. "The crease between your eyebrows is noticeably deeper. What's up?"

Happy sighed. "Nothing, Doc. Just having a bad day." Toby's eyes narrowed, but to his credit he didn't pursue the matter.

Upon leaving the hardware store with the bare essentials, Toby exclaimed, "Let's have a drink!"

"It's not even ten in the morning yet, Toby. It's way too early for drinks."

Toby nodded. "Alright. What about a milkshake?"

Happy was tempted to decline, but the hopeful look in his eyes made her hesitate. "Okay. But only for the milkshake."

Toby's grin grew impossibly wider and Happy couldn't help but feel a warmth in her chest. She quickened her pace and tried not to think about it. Surely it couldn't mean anything.

**

"What can I get y'all?"

The blonde waitress was so obviously checking Toby out. And Toby didn't seem to mind either.

"I'll have your finest chocolate milkshake. Extra cream," he winked, and smirked at the waitress (whose name was Kendra according to her name tag.)

"Same," Happy grunted, without looking at the menu.

"Comin' right up," the waitress - Kendra - giggled and skipped away. Happy wondered if she would get into much trouble for tripping her, or worse.

"Happy?" Toby called. He must have seen something on her face because he grinned. "Happy Quinn. Are you... jealous?"

"Me? Jealous? No. No, Doc, I am not jealous. Get over yourself."

Toby's smile faltered but didn't fade. "If you say so."

Kendra came bouncing back to their table and set down their drinks. With Happy's she set down a straw, but with Toby's she set down a note. "Call me," she mouthed.

Happy didn't say a word the rest of the way to the garage. The day had done the impossible - it had gotten worse.