Chapter 4

Chapter 4

                They were still playing moss-ball with Flamefoot and Stonestream when Flamekit’s mother finally returned to camp, looking very angry. The young kit was still upset about her latest disappearance, so he completely ignored her and knocked the ball of moss back to his father. I have a great father, but a TERRIBLE mother! She never does anything with us!

                When it seemed like Blazekit was about to rush over to where Crazystar was standing, Flamekit meowed, “Don’t say hi to her. She doesn’t deserve it!”

                Stonestream paused the game and looked uneasy. “Well, you’re mother is very busy, being leader and all…” he began.

                “That’s just an excuse and you know it too,” Blazekit spoke before Flamekit could. “She could play with us if wanted to! We may be only two moons old, but we’re not as dumb as you think! She doesn’t care about us!”

                “Now, you’re judging Crazystar too much and I’m sure she...” Stonestream protested, looking desperately to Flamefoot for assistance, but Crazystar’s father shook his head and walked away.

                “Explain why she never does anything with us,” Flamekit responded before his brother could speak again. “Explain why she’s always rushing out of camp. Everyone knows she just wants to get away from us and it’s time you admit it.”

                Before his father could say anything else in Crazystar’s defense, the gray-furred she-cat was marching towards them. “Hi, my precious kits!” she purred. “Did you have fun?”

                “Yes,” Flamekit growled. “Would’ve been better if the world’s most absent mother was here!”

                The ThunderClan leader looked absolutely stunned for a moment. “Now, sweetie, I had to take care of the badger…” she started.

                “No!” Flamekit shouted angrily. “I don’t want to hear any excuses! Liontail or someone could’ve led the patrol if you actually cared!”

                “But it was better for me to lead…” Crazystar tried to defend herself again.

                He wasn’t listening. Flamekit turned around and padded towards the nursery. “Blazekit, you don’t agree with him, do you?” his mother asked, and he could hear the hurt in her voice.

                “Actually, I do,” Blazekit snarled, sounding just as furious with the gray-furred she-cat as Flamekit was. “Maybe if you were ever around or did stuff with us, we’d have a different point of view. How would you like it if we started caring as much as you do?”

                Flamekit heard his brother’s pawsteps and turned around. Blazekit was running towards him and away from the cat they once thought had loved them.

***

                It was a new day. The two kits had refused to sleep anywhere near Crazystar. Their mother had left the nursery to go to the leader’s den a little past moonhigh last night, miserable green eyes staring at the ground and her tail drooping.

                They trotted out into the camp and were surprised to find rain falling from the sky. Thunder boomed noisily and bright lightning flashed nearby.

                The whole camp was in chaos. Cats were running around in a panic, and Liontail was yelling for order, to no use. What in StarClan’s name is going on here? Hasn’t everybody seen a thunderstorm before today?

                Flamekit and Blazekit saw Stonestream emerging from Crazystar’s den for some reason. “Why is everyone acting all crazy?” Flamekit asked. “The storm isn’t that scary!”

                Stonestream looked up, pain in his blue eyes. “It isn’t the storm,” his father responded. “Crazystar is missing.”

A/N: Sorry about leaving you all on a cliffhanger!!! :)

What do you think about Crazystar's disappearance? You've absolutely, positively got to tell me your thoughts!