Cinderella Retold [hiatus]

*Chapter One *(incomplete) ----------

Lying down on my sisters' bed, I was facing the high ceiling right above me. My eyes were engrossed in observing all the intricate details that lay on it. There were vines of all sorts, overlaying one another and flowers delicately carved into the borders on all sides of the suite. I was in a trance and thoughts were swirling around my head, when a loud Knock on what I presumed to be the door, pulled me out of them.

"Come In, " I called out, my voice projected. The wooden door opened without a sound, and a small gust of wind blew in which managed to ruffle my hair. I didn't bother refocusing my attention, but I did happen to glance at the butler who had just entered the room. His footsteps echoed on the marble floor and this was the only apparent sound which was audible from where I was. "Good Afternoon, Sir" His voice was polite and polished; just how it should be."I have come to tell you that the Lord and Lady have summoned you to their quarters and they expect you in fifteen minutes. "Could my parents not have come and told me face to face?" I enquired, " I mean, why go to the trouble of sending you, Rupert when they could have come themselves?" "Well Sir, they are both very busy and at wits end planning the preparations' for the ball that will be held tomorrow evening." He replied, in a calm tone, compared to my very obvious and flippant remark. "What ball?" I asked this, because I was genuinely confused. "Ah, well, you see sir, I am not sure myself. The call came to our quarters this morning, that a "very important" ball will be held tomorrow evening; and that it would be in honour of you. We were told to go to Sir William for our instructions on how to ready the palace." He replied, a tiny but visible bit of excitement in his voice, but then I am not that surprised that he could keep his calm; unlike me off course. "In honour of me?! Erm, you can go now Rupert; thank you."I needed to see my parents, and fast.

The fifteen minutes that I was supposed to wait could not have gone faster in my opinion; but then it depends on what activity my parents were engaging themselves in, that was the cause of the delay. "As you wish Sir." And with that, Rupert left the room in a haste. I guess he too was at 'wits end' preparing the palace, for he was the most trusted and reliable butler we had. 'Good Lord' I thought, what have my parents gotten me into...