02

Carley's p.o.v

I was currently sat on a large, comfy couch in Luke's basement. I watch as he rapidly scribbles onto a mini chalkboard that his nephew had left there when he visited last week. It was yesterday that we found out about the wedding and Luke was not wasting any time.

"There are three stages," Luke begins to explain, pointing at the writing on the board with a pointer. "Stage one: planting seeds of doubt, stage two: separation and finally stage three: pulling things up from the past." He looks at me with a 'do you understand' kind of look.

I nod. "Okay I get it. So I'm guessing we're starting with doubt?" I question. He nods and sets the chalkboard down beside the couch and sits next to me.

"Yep and this going to be pretty simple. You can hang out with Hadley and I can hang out with Ashton and just say little things 'out of the blue' that can cause them to question their marriage," Luke tells me as he adjusts the beanie sitting on the top of his head.

"And how do you know this is going to work?" I wonder looking into his bright blue irises.

"Because it will, now call Hadley and make plans to hang out okay? Then you can come back here afterwards."

I roll my eyes and dig my phone out of my pocket. Following Luke's simple instructions, I call Hadley to ask if she's interested in to go out for dinner tonight to talk about planning.

I grab my purse and jacket then leave Luke's house and drive to Ashton's, since that was where Hadley had been staying for the last few weeks. She opens the door all ready to go and kisses Ashton before leaving causing me to cringe slightly.

Hadley jumps into the passenger seat and buckles her seatbelt. My mind was racing trying to think of something to say that would give her some doubt. But instead Hadley started the conversation.

"So when we told you about the engagement yesterday, Luke looked a bit unhappy. Has everything been okay with him? I mean you've been spending time with him lately," she says.

"This was perfect!" I think to myself.

"I think he was just shocked. We bother were. I mean it's just you're both so young and you haven't been together that long so I mean we just weren't expecting it so fast I guess." I smirk, proud of the work I had just done.

"Oh. I mean I'm 20 and he's 21, do you think that's too young?" She questions.

"It totally worked!" I think.

"Well it's just you're young and you have so much life left you know? Personally I wouldn't want to be tied down with marriage for at least another three years. There's just so many responsibilities that comes along with it, I definitely wouldn't be ready for that kind of commitment. But I guess you are," I smile, giving myself a mental pat on the back.

She begins to shift a bit awkwardly and uncomfortably in her seat, she was definitely thinking a few things over.

We had arrived at the restaurant and got a table for two. We grab menus and begin to look at all the meal choices.

"So, have you thought about what style of wedding dress you want or the colour scheme?" I ask putting down my menu, knowing what I was going to order.

"Uh no I guess I haven't really thought about any of that. I mean Ashton and I both want a small wedding for sure, just with a few close friends and family. But I think two months should be enough time to plan r-right?" Hadley stuttered.

"Well I don't know, but I think this is good for you and Ashton. This will teach you guys how to deal under stressful situations. I mean you are going to spending every single day for the rest of your life with him so this could be great practice," I say just a the waiter walks over.

I see from the corner of my eye Hadley had a frown on her face and was biting the inside of her cheek just staring off into space.

...

After the dinner was finished, I drove Hadley back home and doubt was written all over her face. I walk her up to the front door and hug her goodbye.

"Goodnight," I wave as she gives me a small smile and closes the door behind her.

I then went back to Luke's house after that and I told him about all the things I said and did.

"Very good, I'm proud," he chuckles.

"Now how did you do?"