Chapter 4: Turnabout Romance - Trial 1 ~ Part 1

February 16 9:30am

District Court

Prosecution Lobby 1 ~ Ghastly Bespoke's POV

"Look, we'll be fine-!" I tried to assure a very shaky Niamh, who was curled up into a ball on the couch. Her chin was resting on her knees and she had wrapped her arms around her legs. She often gets like this before a trial: she'll suddenly have some kind of panic attack and it takes quite a bit to calm her down.

"But what if we're not fine?!" Niamh retorted in a shaky voice. "What if I make a fool of myself in front of everyone?!"

I sighed. "I'll be with you in there, okay? If anything goes wrong, then leave it to me to deal with it. And if we lose the case... so what? At least we found the truth and saved your friend, right? That's what you want, isn't it?"

Niamh's shivering seemed to calm down and she blinked a few times before sighing. "You're right... S-Sorry about that... I-I get a bit flinchy before a trial sometimes..."

The bailiff that called us into court at that moment didn't help. His booming voice scared Niamh so much she fell off the couch entirely. After helping her stand up we made our way into the courtroom, Niamh gripping a purple stone in her hand. What did Sora call them? A Magatama?

February 16 10:00am

District Court

Courtroom No. 1

"Court is now in session for the trial of James Devine." His Honour announced. "Are both sides ready?"

"The defense is ready, Herr Judge." a woman with white-tipped grey hair nodded at the judge. I assumed she was the main defense lawyer, although I hadn't seen her before. I recognised Ms. Tenniswood, though, who was stood next to her.

Niamh had hesitated before jumping slightly. "O-Oh, I-I'm- I mean, we're ready, Your Honour!"

"Very good." His Honour responded. "The prosecution may give their opening statement."

Niamh still seemed a little shaken up and nervous: I didn't want to see her having a panic again, so I decided to step in and give the opening statement instead. "The crime took place at the Happy House Carnival two days ago. The victim, Petile Wolford, was stabbed in the stomach with a spear. The defendant's fingerprints were found on the hilt of the spear, so that is why he was arrested."

"Thanks..." Niamh whispered to me. "I'll try and pull myself together..."

"Don't force yourself too much..." I whispered back. "Maybe let me take charge for a while and you can jump in when you feel ready...?" Niamh nodded in response, clearly looking a bit disappointed with herself. I turned back to the trial at hand. "The prosecution calls the detective in charge of the investigation to the witness stand!"

Detective Stanhope approached the witness stand, hands in pockets as usual. "State your name and occupation, witness." I demanded. Normally I'd have my trusty knife in hand, but prosecuting a case alongside a serial killer isn't something I'm mentally ready for just yet.

"Vera Stanhope. I'm the detective leading the charge in this investigation, pet." Detective Stanhope replied. "I suppose you'll be wanting the details on the crime?"

"If you please, Detective." I nodded. I glanced at Niamh again: she wasn't quite as pale, but she still didn't look well enough to say anything just yet. I sighed: I felt worthless, not being able to help her.

- Witness Testimony -

- Details on the Crime -

"The victim was found inside a tent by one Amanda Wakuta, followed by the defendant and the prosecution's co-counsel over there."

"Ms. Wolford had been stabbed once in the stomach by a large spear, said spear bearing the defendant's fingerprints."

"Ms. Wakuta also stated that she saw a hooded figure escape the crime scene. At that time, the defendant has no alibi."

"That is why we had no choice but to arrest him for the murder, pet."

"Hey..." Niamh whispered, a small smile on her face. "I... I think I can do this part..."

"Do what?" I asked. I didn't get any kind of response.

"The defense may cross examine the witness." His Honour announced. Ms. Attorney-I-Didn't-Know responded with a curt nod of the head. "Ja, Herr Judge."

- Cross Examination -

"The victim was found inside a tent by one Amanda Wakuta, followed by the defendant and the prosecution's co-counsel over there."

"Ms. Wolford had been stabbed once in the stomach by a large spear, said spear bearing the defendant's fingerprints."

"Ms. Wakuta also stated that she saw a hooded figure escape the crime scene. At that time, the defendant has no alibi."

*THINK AGAIN!*

It clearly wasn't Ms. Attorney-I-Didn't-Know who objected: she looked about just as confused as the rest of us. Instead, I found myself looking to my left when the same voice spoke again. "The defendant not having an alibi at that time doesn't matter!!"

"Niamh-?!" I gasped. "What do you mean?"

"I spoke to another witness yesterday who was friends with the victim." Niamh explained. "She said that she was speaking on the phone with the victim the night of the latter's death. Ms. Wolford told this witness that she was meeting with a female! However, the defendant is male! That creates quite the contradiction, don't you think?!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I KNOW LIKE NO GERMAN SO I HAD TO USE THE INTERNET TO LOOK UP 'YOUR HONOUR' IN GERMAN BUT I DECIDED I DIDN'T WANT TO RISK GETTING IT WRONG AND PROBABLY OFFENDING SOMEONE SO I STUCK WITH HERR JUDGE TO STAY ON THE SAFE SIDE

PROPS TO ME FOR SPEAKING NOTHING BUT ENGLISH

AceAttorneyFan over and out!