Chapter 4 (Part 1 - The Pact)

Flashback:

Lucas, James, Jordan and Oliver exit the local pub after their New Year's celebration. All are drunk. Not to the point where they make spoonerism after spoonerism and are so light-headed that they can't tell where they're going or forget what their conversations are, although they are drunk enough to make absurd mistakes. They stumble out of the pub, being the four cheerful friends they usually are. The four halt to a stop as Lucas begins to speak: "I know none of us really do the New Year's Resolution thing, and with this war going on, it is making life more challenging for everyone," he begins. His speech slow and attempting not to slur with his words and be clear so they do understand what he's saying. "But I was thinking 'bout how we all have such shit families. Honestly, we're all getting older now and we don't need them-"
"Of course we need them," Oliver interrupts. "They're family, and that's what they're there for."
"Fine, pussy, don't join in our pact, then," Lucas replies.
"Alright, what is it?" he asks. Oliver prefers not to be rejected and is easily talked into things. He often bows down to peer-pressure quite often, and usually Lucas would pity him, although he is now abusing it and using it to his advantage.
"Cos all our families are asses to us... mostly. And that now it's 2023 and I'll be turning 23 this year, something bad is bound to happen, so I wanna turn things around and do something bad. Instead of chance, God, nature or 23 itself doing something to me... us, rather, let's do something ourselves intentionally. Let's just never speak to our families again. No talking. No visiting. You can find out what they're up to, if you can. But no more contact with them. I figure it'll be for our best."

Their initial reaction was shock, however their drunken minds and Lucas' persuasion, albeit hardly persuasive, reminded them of the negatives in their life with their families. "You sure about this?" James questions Lucas. "Positive. Positively certain. Look, I still don't think our families approve of our relationship and it's just better that we forget them. I know I'll miss them later, but this is a sacrifice that must be made," Lucas explains.
"If you say so," he answers.
"You don't have to do anything you don't want to, James. I'd hate making you do things against your will," Lucas says as he hugs him. "I love you, and I just want what's best for you. You don't have to if you don't want to."
"I do. I do want to."
"Hey," Jordan speaks up. "When you two lovers stop screwing around..." Their hug ends.
"Yes?" Lucas asks.
"Well, what happens if you don't do it? I mean, if one of us agrees to it and then breaks it by speaking to one of our family members, what happens to that person?"
"Well, er... I guess you just haven't lived up to my expectations as a friend and I won't be a friend with you anymore. Although, I can bend the rules for James-y." His response was mainly aimed towards Oliver, seeing as he would be the most likely to speak to his family first.

"Well, fuck you if that's how it is," Oliver says.
"Hey, I haven't really thought this through, Oliver. Come on, I'm drunking fuck, for fuck's sake! Oh, bollocks! You know what I meant," Lucas replies, making a spoonerism also, which causes the others to laugh slightly and Lucas and James looking at each other, both smiling pathetically, with some affection added to it. "Just agree to it, do it, and be done. It's that simple, guys."
"Sure, I'm in," Jordan says.
"What the hell, I'm in. I'll always be with you, Lu," James adds.
"Yeah, you better be (!)" Lucas jokingly replies, pulling his boyfriend by his side and holding him tightly. "What'd you say, Oliver?"
"Whatever, man. I'll join in with your stupid shit. I always have and I won't back down now," Oliver agrees to forever changing his life - for better or for worse, only time can tell. 'Or perhaps five-dimensional beings, too. That is if there are any,' Lucas would say to that.

The four departed to their respective homes. Having changed their life by agreeing to ludicrous decisions. James and Lucas went straight to sleep as they reached their bed; too drunk and tired for any fooling around. But Lucas couldn't help thinking if perhaps he had exacerbated their relationships with their families now, instead of being helpful. Although that was a short though process, as Lucas was completely drained at the end of the New Year's Eve night.

End Flashback:

After completely smoking all the weed given to him, Lucas exits the house stoned out of his mind. He takes cautious steps as he gradually makes his way home. En route, he notices somebody with whom he feels familiar. He noticed the blonde hair after he saw the brown eyes. And after the hair, he recognised the entire face and person himself: Oliver. He wished to say something to his former friend, but felt that he had done enough damage to the man in his life. Even if it was never really all too intentional.

Instead, he proceeds to attempt at ignoring him as he goes on by past him. However, Oliver recognised his former friend also, and, unlike Lucas, stops, "Hey, Lucas. You alright? Actually, it looks like you've seen better days. Not that I'd know anything in your life, as I am spending an awful amount of time with my family."
"Shit, man, I'm sorry about that. I really don't understand why I even bothered to go along with that thought. Probably because I didn't always like my family and didn't like how me and James were being treated in his. But I didn't need to drag you and Jordan into it."
"No, you're right, you didn't. How are the other two anyway?"
"I couldn't give less of a fuck about James, and Jordan's alright. When I do see him, as he's in the army. The Rebellion Force. And I don't always see him a lot."
"What happened between you and James? You were a really strong couple..."
"It's a long story and so complicated that I can't arsed to answer it. He's why I'm down here, smoking weed and shit. Although, that contradicts that I don't give a fuck about him because I clearly do."
"Lucas, you're rambling again," he points out.
"Sorry. Anyway, how's you? And your family?" Lucas asks, and the latter question causes Oliver to laugh.
"How about we go smoke one and I'll tell you what happened with me the last four years you missed out on with me?" Oliver suggests.
"Alright..." Lucas agrees, smiling and chuckling slightly.

The two of them go into the house that Lucas recently left from. Lucas takes him to the same room he used, which is still strangely empty. Eventually, the two end up laughing over jokes, stories and inside jokes like the great friends they once were.