The List

The list took up two pages. It had taken two hours to write, that was how much he loved her. Now, in the little black journal, he had completed what he'd set out to do. This list was comprised of all the things he had never been able to tell her. Ignoring his parched throat, he picked up the journal and started to read out loud.

"1. Your laugh- I loved the way your laugh was small, but it took up the whole room. I loved how you could just laugh over nothing and anything anyone said, whether it was even remotely funny, made you smile. I also loved the way your eyes lit up when you did take the time to laugh."

"2. Your eyes- I loved the intensity of your gaze, how blue but green it was at the same time. I loved the way you reserved a special look just for me. A look that screamed independence, but need at the same time. I loved how you could silence me, or anyone, with just a look from those beautiful eyes."

"3. Your hair- I loved that, no matter how dirty it was, your hair looked like pure sunshine. I loved that it smelled like heather and hay no matter what. I also loved that it was always soft and smooth."

"4. Your voice- I loved when you sang, the whole world stopped to listen. I loved that your voice was that of an angel. I loved how you had these songs memorized. I loved that you sang to me."

"5. Your scars- I loved your scars because they told your story. They told the world that Beth Greene was stronger than her demons, that Beth Greene was a survivor."

"6. Your cussing- I loved when you cussed at me or flipped me off. It was too cute and too soft, so I couldn't get mad. It also told me you were not afraid to stand up to me or anyone else. Whenever you were that fierce you always knocked me on my ass."

"7. Your hope- This is a big one. I loved when you had hope when no one else did. I loved that you still believed there were good people in a world gone to hell. Most of all, I loved that you taught me how to have the same faith and the same hope. I probably wouldn't be alive without you."

"8. Your innocence- I loved that throughout all of this, even though you've been forced to kill, you never lost yourself. You kept your innocence this whole time when most people threw theirs away a long time ago."

"9. Your drunkenness- I loved that you were happy when you were drunk. I was always an ass when I was drunk, so anyone's better than me. Yet instead of letting alcohol change you for the worse, you just got happier. I loved you for it."

"10. Your heart- I loved that your heart was big enough for even the worst people. Including myself."

"11. Your strength- I loved that you could be the strongest of us all sometimes. You went from that weak suicidal on Hershel' s farm, to a hopeful song bird. And I loved your change."

"12. Your parental instinct- I loved how, when Lori died, you became Judiths mother. Sure, Carol cared for her too. But Judith took to you more. You were a natural with her. I hope, that in Heaven, God lets you have kids. Because it's what you wanted."

"13. Your smile- I loved your smile. I loved the way it instantly lit up a room. I also loved the way it got my heart pounding and made my mouth dry. It's one thing I miss the most about you."

"14. Your touch- This one thing I miss more than most. You were never afraid to wrap your arms around me like the others. Your touch was gentle and soft, sweet and pure. I know you couldn't tell, but I loved it. And I loved you."

"I'm sorry I never got to tell you any of these things. I'm sorry I didn't understand what I felt when I was with you for a while. I'm sorry I didn't stop Dawn in time. I'm sorry I let them take you. I'm sorry. I love you Beth Greene, and I will till the day I join you and can tell you how I feel."

Daryl watched his tears stain the white pages of the journal. Even though no one had been around to listen, he still was glad he'd spoken what he'd written. "I hope you heard me Beth", he whispered. "I did", a teary voice sounded.

Daryl spun around in shock. There she was. His Beth. He had plenty of hallucinations of her before. They were all of her standing in a beautiful white dress, her wounds gone, a smile on her precious face. Daryl knew he had been seeing an angel. That was how he knew she had gone to the best place a person could go. It was everything she deserved and more.

But she was different this time. She was wearing her clothes she had died in at the hospital. One side of her head was covered in blood and had a wound in the side. This was the side of her head that was shot. They were both locked in each other's gaze: sea green on ice blue.

Daryl slowly stood up and put the journal down. He willed his legs to move one step at a time. He was worried if he moved too fast she would disappear and what was left of his heart would break. She seemed to feel the same way. She wanted to know if he was real too.

They kept taking small steps towards each other until they were a few centimeters apart. Daryl reached out a tentative hand. Every time he'd tried to touch Beth before, she turned out to be nothing but an apparition, one that broke his heart. He feared this would be the same situation. He let himself get lost in her eyes and closed the distance between them.

His fingers brushed porcelain skin. Beth must have felt it, for her eyes glowed. She was real. She was here. He cupped her face in his hands and knew he was crying. Tears of joy ran down her cheeks. Beth swallowed and asked, "Did you mean what you said? About me?"

He laughed and pressed his forehead to hers. "When have I ever lied to you Beth Greene?" She smiled as he ran his fingers through her hair. "Couldn't remember a time Mr. Dixon. I didn't know you liked those things about me." He moved his hands gently to her waist. "Well now you do. You know I love your laugh, your eyes, your hair, your voice, your scars, your cussing, your hope, your innocence, your drunkenness, your heart, your strength, your mother instinct, your smile and your touch. You know I love your everything. And I always will."

Beth was grinning from ear to ear. Suddenly, she grabbed his shirt and pulled him into a kiss. Daryl had definitely been kissed before, and he was no virgin either. But he had never experienced something as passionate and full of love as he had right now. She smirked at the blush she knew was on his face. Two could play this game.
He deepened the kiss and tried not to laugh at the surprised squeal that emitted from her mouth. When they finally came up for air he asked, "How did you survive?"

She shook her head. "That doesn't matter right now Daryl. What matters is that we have each other again. Will you take me to the others?" He nodded as he scooped up his crossbow and journal. He handed the journal to Beth. "You can have that. I don't really need it."

Beth flipped through the pages and Daryl saw her smiling. He suddenly felt a nagging heat run up his back. He had kept this journal to write letters of what he felt and what he went through each day to Beth. He thought she would be hearing him in some way. Turns out he was right. "You wrote letters to me?" He nodded bashfully. "Sorry if you find that weird. I just wanted to somehow tell you how I felt when you were gone for so long. I-I love you and I wanted to show you somehow."Beth ran straight up to him and kissed him full on the lips. When she was finished she gave her verbal reply. "It is not weird Daryl Dixon, and don't you ever think that. It is the most romantic and beautiful thing in the world. And I love you for it."

Daryl was about to reply when someone shouted, "Hey Daryl! What are you doing?" He turned to Beth and grinned, taking her hand in his. "Let's go have a reunion." As Daryl felt her soft skin in his, he realized that he needed to tell Beth how he felt in order for her to come back. And now they would never be apart again. He would make sure of that.

     Two lovers were reunited. All because one finally had the courage to tell the other how he felt. He just did it with a list.