Prologue

Prologue

        Thigh highs covered Joshua's milky skin as he slowly crawled towards Ryker's seat on the couch, a cigarette hanging between his lips and his boyfriends' shirt being the only other thing covering his torso. His petite body was never covered by anything else other than this unless the two left the giant house, which was rare. Joshua preferred to stay inside all day even if he was by himself. He always managed to find something to entertain himself with.

        Ryker barely managed to hold in his groan at his boyfriends antics; he never gave up no matter how much he denied him. Joshua knew he would just have to take care of himself at the end of the night.

        Choosing to steer away from the oncoming conversation, Ryker changed the topic before it was even bought up. 'You know I hate those things,' he stated, his mouth curling in distaste as he lazily gestured to the cigarette between Joshua's lips. Fragments of a Russian accent leaked through his voice as he spoke, not being able to hold it back under the uncomfortable stare he was receiving. Most would call it sexy; most would kill to be in his position right now, but Ryker couldn't bring himself to feel anything other than slight distress in the situation. He wanted out.

        'I clearly don't care,' Joshua drawled slowly, his mood turning sour as he caught on to what his boyfriend was doing. He wanted for only one thing in this world, yet it was the one thing he knew he wouldn't get.

        Crawling between Ryker's spread thighs; he leaned back on his heels, his shirt riding up slightly with the movement. He wasn't about to give up so easily. 'There are other ways you could get me to stop,' he suggested lewdly, his fingertips trailing across the exposed skin of his boyfriends ankles to reinforce his statement. There was no hiding what he was hinting at.

        Under all the discomfort his actions caused, Ryker almost managed a smile.

        Almost.

        Jerking away from the intimate touch, Ryker crossed the room quickly, finding his keys and phone atop the coffee table. He glanced at the time, sending a hasty 'thank you' to a God he didn't believe in after seeing the numbers displayed - it was almost time to leave.

        Turning his gaze back to his boyfriend, Ryker couldn't stop the stab of guilt he felt at leaving Joshua yet again with nothing - the slight upset look covering his features as he gazed back tugging at his heart. They both knew it would be like this when they had first gotten into the relationship a year ago, yet Joshua thought he could change his partner; trying repeatedly for the last four months without success. He wasn't going to give up anytime soon.

        'I have a job tonight,' Ryker blurted out, feeling the atmosphere between them become heavier. It was always like this when he bought up work. 'I should be back before midnight,' he tried to reassure his boyfriend - and it worked, if only slightly.

        Controlling his growing anger, Joshua allowed only slight bitterness to seep into his voice, 'you're the boss, I don't get why you don't just hire someone to take care of all the dirty work.'

        'If you want something done right, do it yourself,' Ryker quoted back, a slight grin taking over his features at the line he always used. He practically lived by it.

        Holding back his own smile, Joshua settled back into the couch, his legs folded beneath him, his cigarette long forgotten. He was done trying for tonight. 'Who is it today?' he asked, genuinely curious.

        'Just someone who's been messing with the gang, nothing too serious,' he replied, slipping on his shoes and jacket as he prepared to leave. Despite his nonchalant tone, Joshua knew it was serious; Ryker never took too kindly to those who betrayed their own people - it was probably the thing he hated most in the world.

        It even topped sexual relations with his boyfriend.

        Striding back over to Joshua, Ryker leaned down, pressing a soft kiss to his lips before lightly pressing their foreheads together. A smile was still playing at his lips as their breath mingled, the heavy atmosphere from before returning to the soft caress it once was. It was moments like this that reminded the two of why they were still able to stay together for so long despite their differences. These were the moments that outweighed the dark ones.

        'Be good,' Ryker mumbled against the others' lips, their skin lightly brushing each other's.

        'And you - try not to die,' he joked back, the humour lacing the words he always said not being able to hide the truth behind them. It was a constant worry for him; one he wished he didn't have.

        Ryker's smile turned softer then, more upset than anything else. 'I love you,' he declared before pressing their lips together once again, this time longer; more passionate, allowing Joshua to respond back to his statement in a way that did not require words. The way he craved.

        And even after it was over; even after Ryker had locked the door to their home with a soft click, there was no denying the blush that still stained his cheeks red with heat or the erratic beating of his heart against his chest.

        There was no denying just how affected he was boy the smaller, younger boy.