Chapter 13

“I know what happened.” He panted.

I sat crossed legged looking at him, feeling guilty.

“How could you?”

“What do you mean?” I questioned.

“Stop avoiding it! Why?”

“It wasn’t my fault.” I explained

“Oh yeah? Then whose fault is it?” Jackson demanded.

“His! I was yelling at him and he just…. You know.”

“So your telling me, he pissed you off, you were yelling at him and he just kissed you. Out of the blue?!”

“Yes.”

“Then why didn’t you come and tell me? Were you trying to keep it from me? Like it was going to blow over without me knowing?”

“I’m sorry Jackson! “ I yelped.

“I didn’t want a ‘sorry’. I wanted you to tell me the truth.” He said calmly. I gazed at him. He looked hurt and insecure like I had punched him. Or he didn’t like what I had done.

“I love you, you know that. But whenever this happens, please come and tell me.” He smiled.

“I love you too.” I got up from the grass and headed towards him. He embraced me warmly. I looked up at him and gently pressed my lips against his. I cupped my hands around his neck, while he clutched my waist.

“Don’t ever do that to me again.”

“I won’t. I promise.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walked home that day feeling refreshed and relaxed.

He forgives me….

I twisted the handle to the door and pushed it open. The uninviting smell of burnt cookies made its way to my nose.

“Mia? Are you there?”

I know I was angry at her, but I didn’t want to faint.

I made my way to the kitchen, where there was a cloud of smoke. Mia was fiddling around in the cupboard, while the oven smoking.

Coughing, I walked towards the oven waving the smoke in different directions.

“Mia! Come out here now!”

“What do you want?” Mia asked in a pissed off tone. She was covered in flour and baking powder. Chocolate chips stuck out from her hair, from this morning.

“Well? What do you want?” she repeated.

“Why is the oven smoking?”

Mia looked at the oven. She looked flabbergasted.

“MY COOKIES!” she screamed. She ran to the oven and opened the door, waving the smoke away. She retrieved a baking tray of black splodges, which used to be her chocolate chip cookies.

I started giggling into my hand, watching her weeping at the baking tray.

“What are you laughing at?” She demanded. I stopped giggling and kept a straight face.

Just as I was about to turn, I heard a chuckle and saw that Mia was laughing.

“What’s so funny?” I asked.

“Nothing! Just… you…should’ve seen your face!” She snorted.

I looked at her then smiled.