Chapter 1

Charlie POV

"We are -less."

I looked at the writing on the wall as I clenched my jaw.  I lifted my eyes up to the sky and began to question the meaning of this horribly written text on the wall of the house I had been asked to paint over. It was terribly written, it's wobbly red letters stained the wall and it looked as if the person who wrote it  had intended on making it look "creepy", when in all honestly it looked like something my nephew could of written with spaghetti sauce. 

Well, I really couldn't  talk much trash about it. I guess I just didn't understand it. I didn't need to understand it. It was of no importance to me. The only important thing to me at that moment was painting over it, getting my money, and going home to take a much needed bath.

I had been painting houses since 9am and it was 6:30pm by the time I had finished. It was already getting dark, I was absolutely covered in paint, and I was sweating like a bitch because I had thought it would be a cold day so I had chosen to wear an over-sized sweater.  I was horribly mistaken and I ended up so damp with sweat, I looked as if I had jumped into the pacific ocean.

After finishing up the wall completely, I sighed. I placed the paint in the garage of the house and smiled at the fact that I was finally done. I had many small jobs like these, as they helped gain more money while I study. I had many dreams, and many things I wished to accomplish. I didn't  have just one career I wished to pursue.

Once I had placed the paint where it belonged, I walked over to the door and knocked. Mrs. Wilkins stepped out and handed me $50 bill, before she smiled softly at me.

"Thank you so much, sweetheart. I'm sorry I couldn't have given you more, but helping to pay Dean's college tuition is leaving us in a hard time."

"Don't worry. I completely understand. Besides, I owe you for all those tasty sandwiches you gave me as a kid." I said as I grinned at her. I was visiting my parents that weekend, and she had asked me to paint her house for a bit of money. Of course, I couldn't say no. Not only for the money, but because Mrs. Wilkins is one of the sweetest lady I had ever met and she had done so much to help my family.

A few months prior, my dad was fired from his job. We had never had any debts before then. But after my dad got fired, it became harder to pay the bills. Luckily, dad found a new job and was set to start shortly after I went back to my studies. I had been helping them pay their bills since he got fired, and I was a bit relieved when I knew he got a new job. I also had my own bills to take care of, but I would of done anything for my parents. I would get myself in debt just to so they didn't have to be. Luckily, my sister Alexis had helped them out as well, even with having to take care of a 10 month old baby. You could say we owe our parents...everything. So, we have to give them everything in return.

I walked over to my home and opened the door. A warm breeze instantly hit my face. I caught a scent that I very much loved. The scent of food. Food is one of the best things this world has to offer. It comes in different sizes, tastes, and looks. Most are good, few are bad. Food is a glorious thing.

I walked over to the kitchen and saw my mom preparing some garlic bread to place on a small toaster oven. I smiled and hugged her from behind.

"Estoy haciendo lasagna, nena" She said to me, before giving me an already roasted garlic bread. "Comete eso y metete a bañar que apestas a pintura" (T. Im making lasagna, girl. Eat this and go take a shower because you smell like paint)