I Promise, We're Going to Be Okay

"Maddie!" I turned around to see my boyfriend, Charlie, sprinting towards me. His long brown hair hung down over his forehead and it bounced with each step he took. He looked like he had been running for a while. There were little droplets of sweat above his upper lip. When he finally reached me I gazed into his mysterious, green eyes.

"What's up?" I asked as I snaked my arms around his neck. He looked good as usual. He was wearing dark blue jeans that looked worn and a little faded. His striped sweater was from Abercrombie and it was tight enough to show that he was muscular. When he started to talk again, I forgot what I was thinking about.

"The bell already rang and I wanted to walk you to class. Are you ready?" I grabbed my books, closed my locker, and took his hand in mine.

"Let's go,"

We started walking towards my first period class. The halls were empty since everybody was already in class. I didn't mind if I was late. As long as I got to spend some more time with Charlie, it was all worth it. I liked being with him.

My class was on the other side of the building but that just gave us more time. We were silent as we walked but it was a comfortable silence. I didn't need to talk to Charlie, I just liked the way I felt when I was around him. He made me feel special. We had been together for over two years. We started dating in the summer between our freshmen and sophomore year. When we were seniors we were still going strong.

We had never fought, or argued, or broken up. I think it's because we were complete opposites and opposites attract. He was the funny one, but he knew how to be mature. I was the mature one, but I knew how to have fun.

Charlie was the only boyfriend I had ever had. When he first asked me out, I almost said no because I was scared that I would embarrass myself. But I'm glad I said yes because it was the best night of my life.

 It wasn't just your normal dinner and a movie. He took me to this little beach that was hidden behind the sand dunes. He had a checkered picnic blanket set up and there were candles everywhere. The whole area was glowing just from the candles he had set up. They had a sweet scent to them and it made it fell a little more like the Caribbean. We had a perfect view of the sunset. We watched the sun dissapear and listened to the waves crash up on shore.

 We just layed there for three hours, holding hands, and talking. I learned more about him in that night than I know about myself. It was the most beautiful, most romantic thing that has ever happened to me.

Then, exactly seven months later, he took me back to our spot on the beach and he told me he loved me. Of course I said it back and we spent another night on our blanket, talking and laughing.

We were walking down the hall, hand in hand, enjoying the moment, when the ground started to shake violently. Charlie tugged my arm and pulled me into the nearest room. It happened to be empty, so we huddled under a desk together and Charlie held me tightly in his arms.

"I Promise, We're going to be okay," he whispered in my ear.