I Promise, We're Going to be Okay

The last thing I remembered was Charlie telling me we were going to be okay. When I opened my eyes the situation looked anything but okay. It made me terrified. So many things sped through my mind. But most importantly, where was Charlie?

"Charlie!?" I yelled as loudly as my voice could handle. I waited for a response but I didn't get one. I tried to get up but I realized I was pinned down by something strong. I panicked.

"Charlie! Help!" I cried out and all of a sudden I was hit with all this pain. My head started aching and my legs were throbbing from the knees and up. I realized that my calves were stuck under what looked like a part of a wall.

"Maddie! Are you okay?" Charlie had suddenly appeared by my side. He had a gigantic cut on his cheek and blood was dripping out of it. Other than that he seemed to be okay.

"My legs are stuck. I can't move. What happened? Are you okay?" A bunch of questions poured out but that wasn't even half of the things I was thinking.

"There was an earthquake. I'm fine but I can't find a way out of here. I tried lifting that off of you but it's too heavy. We're gonna have to wait. They'll be sending rescuers." He had given me all of that information but I was still processing the fact that I was going to be stuck there for a while.

Then I saw that he had blood on his shirt and there was a lot.

"What is that?" I asked him as I reached to lift his shirt. I didn't like what I saw. There was a gash in his stomach that was bigger than my hand. He had lost a lot of blood. If he didn't get out of there then, he wasn't going to get out at all.

"Charlie! You need a doctor. You're losing too much blood," He pulled his shirt off and pressed it against his wound.

"It's fine. I'll just apply pressure until somebody finds us and then I'll get it stiched up,"

There was no way he was going to make it much longer. He needed to go to the hospital.

"Charlie, just go find a way out of here. I'll be fine. The rescuers will find me,"

But of course, he fought back.

"No! I'm not leaving you! No. No. No. NO."

That idea obviously wasn't going to happen. So we sat there together and held hands just thinking of ideas. We needed to do something. And we needed to do it quick.