Chapter IV

Mr. Quincey's foot had no sooner trespassed the threshold of the Kingsleys' home that the two girls scurried down the stairs to greet him. Edward was quite surprised, and it must have shown from his expression for the girls regained their composure as soon as they came face to face with him in their small drawing room.

Edward bowed his head, and in return the two sisters curtseyed,

"Miss Kingsley, Miss Alice, I hope I find you in good health," the gentleman exclaimed, his voice so warm one could feel the sincerity in his tone,

"Thank you, Mr. Quincey," Catherine replied, nodding her head but slightly, "I hope your sister is fairing well,"

Edward nodded quite fervently, and a few moments of silence followed as each sought for an interesting topic to converse. This moment of deep reflection was quickly interrupted, however, as Mr. Kingsley entered the room to greet his guest.

"Mr. Quincey!" The old man cried, "How pleasant to see you at this time. I must say, sir, you are quite punctual,"

The young man smiled, thanking Mr. Kingsley, and soon after the two men began a very lively conversation about the upcoming shooting season. Mr. Kingsley, though his home was quite small, had very fine grounds and he invited Mr. Quincey to shoot on the second week of August. Mr. Quincey was very pleased to accept the invitation, and as soon as he did so Miss Kingsley intervened,

"How very nice that you should come and shoot on our grounds, Mr. Quincey. It is always such a pleasure to see other gentlemen taking part in such an honourable pastime as shooting,"

"Indeed," Edward bowed his head in agreement, "And it is an honour to be invited by very amiable and respectable company as yours,"

Miss Kingsley had, until then, been reading a book, and as Edward glanced at her he noticed its title,

"The Mysteries of Udolpho?" He read aloud, oblivious to Mr. Kingsley's astonishment, "Is it as terrifying as they say?"

Mr. Kingsley was quite nonplussed, for he had strictly forbidden such works to his daughters. Catherine, however, remained quite composed as she replied,

"It is not terrifying but merely strange. Enough to make our elders recoil in their disapproval,"

Edward was not accustomed to such literature, as his sister only read Cowper and Wordsworth, and he enjoyed the works of Scott, so he simply inclined his head, before adding,

"I find it quite fascinating to see the interests and passions of young ladies differ, and how they have evolved since I was a child. Nowadays, young ladies find a particular pleasure in the works of Byron and Coleridge. I do not believe my mother would have ever read the romantics had she been presented them in her day. And these gothic novels that are now in fashion amongst our youth, how very exciting that is!"

"Indeed," Mr. Kingsley replied, "You should not take my dear Catherine's reading as an example. For even though these trifling novels are in vogue nowadays, they certainly are very rarely permitted in this household. I would have been more pleased," he turned to his eldest daughter, "to see the works of Milton in her hand, rather than Mrs. Radcliffe's."

Catherine blushed, and was about to remark on the weather to change the subject when the butler entered the room to announce dinner.

"How very convenient!" Chimed Alice, for she was very hungry and quite tired of listening to the party's conversation about literature, a topic she abhorred.

Though there were only four courses, Edward genuinely enjoyed the dinner and gave his compliments for it. Mr. Kingsley was satisfied with this, and Alice, who had taken it upon herself to choose the menu, was exceedingly content and could not help but show it.