Forever Mine Chapter 48

When my eyes opened the first thing I see is my mother watching me, she looks tired. I try to lift my head but groan and lay back on the pillow.

“Uh, don’t move.” Sylvia said, reaching forward.

I sighed and rubbed my eyes, white splotches dancing in front of them. “I got that.” I snapped. Then I felt bad at her expression. “Sorry. My head. It’s just killing me.”

“Yeah, you hit it pretty hard. I couldn’t get Fred and George to leave for the longest time. They were really worried. I told them you just fell.” She gave me a knowing look and I sighed, looking down at my leg.

“It was a symptom, right?”

My mother nodded. “Don’t worry. Your dad used to get them sometimes way before the disease completely took over.”

Don’t worry? How could I not worry? I nodded nonetheless. Finally I said, “Could you go and get Fred?”

“I think he’s asleep.” She looks at me for minutes before sighing and standing up. “Sure. I’ll be right back.” 

As I laid there, my head throbbing, I think it really hit me. Things like this would probably happen sometime. And sometime I wouldn’t be able to cover it with a simple fall. I imagined myself as I got older, not being able to control movement. That moment when my leg jerked and I couldn’t control myself… It was the scariest feeling in the world. I counted the seconds until there was a knock at the door. Which was rather redundant since the door was open. Fred smiled in at me as Sylvia gave us a fleeting look and retreated down the hall.

Fred was just in his pajamas and his red hair was all messy. He looked really tired. I scooted over in my bed and patted the space next to me. He shuffled over and pulled back the blankets, crawling in beside me. He absentmindedly snaked his arm around me. I sighed and settled my head on his chest, taking comfort in his steady breathing.  “You scared me, Seph.” He whispered. I sighed and closed my eyes, letting a few tears slip out of my eyes.

“Sorry.” I answered in an equally quiet tone. It was really hitting me now. I didn’t want Fred to have to take care of me. I didn’t want him to think of me as a horrible burden. A sudden thought came to me. I need someone. Someone I trust. Someone who can do it. When the time comes…

“Are you crying?” He asked me suddenly, lifting my chin and face towards him. I sniff.

“I just don’t feel good.” I half lie. Fred kisses my forehead. I am amazed by how he acts serious in appropriate occasions.

“Snape’s stopping by tomorrow. We could set off Dungbombs under his cloak.” I let out a strangled laugh but can’t hold back tears. And I break down in sobs again. “Hey. Hey.” He coos. I can’t stop crying. “We don’t have to. I mean, it doesn’t matter.”

“It’s not- not that. Just… Just my head.”

He looked like he didn’t understand but finally nodded and wrapped his arms around me. I tried to sleep but found I couldn’t so in the end I just laid looking up at Fred as he snored quietly, letting more silent tears soak his shirt.

*

Soon we were back at Hogwarts and things were going back to normal. As normal as they’d ever be at a school of magic, that is. As soon as I walked into Gryffindor Tower, Serena practically jumped me.

“Where on earth have you been? I heard Mr. Weasley got attacked but I didn’t know where you went! I was freaking out! Mum and Dad visited my aunt in Switzerland so I had to stay here. I was so bored.” She rambled, tugging me up to the girl’s dormitories. I smiled. I’d missed Serena, of course, just like I always did.