Chapter 1: Even the Most Fragrant of Flowers Must Grow Through Dirt

In what was supposed to be the most joyous day of the year for children all over the world, snow covered the streets of the city of angels and a girl, seventeen years of age, sat on the edge of the bridge, crying.

"Hey, are you alright?" a young man's voice emerged softly within the cold breeze.

She looked to the side and up, facing the handsome man. She then turned away to wipe her tears before looking back at him.

"What are you doing out here on Christmas Eve?"

"Just felt like taking a stroll in the hail." she said sarcastically.

The man chuckled and sat beside her, looking down at the violent stream. "So, thinking of jumping in any time soon?"

"Yeah right." she answered with a laugh. "I'm not some depressed teen." The man looked at her , raising an eyebrow. "So... why are you out here in Christmas Eve?" she asked with a hint of shyness.

"Last minute Christmas shopping." he said, lifting up four plastic bags.

"Presents for your family?"

He shook his head.

"Girlfriend?"

"Nah, I'm single." he smiled. "It's just dinner. I'm going to try not to burn it this year." They shared a soft, warm laugh.

"So why are you here and not with your family?" he insisted.

"I told you, I--"

"No, the real reason." he smiled slyly.

She looked down and to the side, breathing out deeply. "I was kicked out." she told the stranger to her own surprise. She had never been a girl of many words, but for some reason she trusted this man whom she had just met.

"On Christmas Eve?" the man asked, wide-eyed. "Why?"

"I talked back to my mom during some stupid argument."

"So what are you going to do? Do you have anywhere to go?"

"I'll just stay here for a while longer. She'll regret it soon enough."

"You know, I don't mind having another pair of hands helping me ruin that turkey."

She chuckled, "I'm fine, thanks.

"Fine then, I'll just have to eat a whole scorched turkey by myself. Nice knowing you." he turned around, still keeping himself on alert and hoping she would change her mind.

The girl thought. She twisted her lips and scrunched up her nose. Such a dilemma over a single turkey.

"You know what," the man turned back around as soon as she spoke, "I might take you up on that offer." he smiled instantly, beaming the dark night around them. "And for the record, I've never burnt any kind of meal." she said conceitedly.

"Hmm..." he raised an eyebrow. "Let's see about that."

They made their way and walked side by side joking like old friends until they reached a tall building, cream and faded carmine. The building seemed old, but it had been well treated, giving it a younger appearance. The girl looked up at the top floor, her eyes fixed on the black ladder bars. How much easier would it be to sneak out if her house had ladders like these?

"You can leave you jacket over there." he took her jacket and placed it on the hanger beside the door. 

Her absent mind was floating about the room, observing everything carefully like someone discovering a new world. In one corner, a separation formed by counters and appliances created a tiny kitchen with barely any room to move. Ahead of it, a wooden dining table stood accompanied by four matching chairs which stood in front of a mahogany leather sofa facing a single matching armchair. These settled atop a worn out hazel carpet with squared patterns that didn't match with pretty much anything in the room except for maybe the striped bed-sheets and the cream walls. Besides the few dim lights, the only other sources of light were two small windows with thin, white curtains that were placed in between two filled bookshelves with a jar of beautiful, but dying flowers.