Chapter 11

Big thank you to @msdenise1996 for voting all the way through! THANK YOU!! XD

________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 11

“So all I need to believe you,” I concluded, “is for Mum to come and confirm your story. That’s it.”

They exchanged worried glances. I smiled smugly. If Mum owned up to having found me, I would be ready to believe whatever they threw at me. If not, I would keep the status of ‘lunatics’ on their foreheads for the rest of their lives. To be honest, I was more ready to bet on the latter option. And yet … I pushed the thoughts away. Mum would tell me that I was born at the hospital two blocks from my house, that they were crazy and there was no need to worry.

Jasmine sighed. “On one condition,” she said.

“What?” 

“When she admits it, you need  to stay here, in this house. Like I said, it’s way too dangerous at the moment. And your mum can’t stay when she’s done. OK?”

I really didn’t like the way she say ‘when’ instead of ‘if’.

“Well …” What if she was right? What if I had to stay locked up in this house for the rest of my … no, she was wrong. She had to be. “Fine,” I agreed.

“Suit yourself,” she said. She took out her phone and gave it to me. My hands shook as I dialled Mum’s number.

“How long have I been out, by the way?” I asked as the line went though.

“Just over four hours,” said Zed.

“Oh God, she’ll be worried sick. She’s probably called the police or something,” I muttered. Jasmine and Zed exchanged more worried glances.

“Hello?” answered a voice. It was Mum’s. She sounded like she hadn’t slept for weeks. She had been crying.  

“Hi.”

“Who’s this?” she asked. “If it’s you, Julie, I already told you I …”

“It’s me, Mum!” I said.

She paused. “Suzanne?”

“Yes, Mum, it’s me! Listen … yes, I’m fine. Are you OK? You didn’t see any weird men around, did you? Nothing, I was just wondering. Yes, I left the hospital when it was … attacked. I don’t know  what happened! Look, Mum, I’m at Jasmine’s house right now, can you meet me there? No, sorry, I can’t come. I’ll tell you when you’re here. I’m fine. Yes, really. I’ll explain everything. OK. Yep.” I gave her Jasmine address. “And don’t bring anyone  with you, OK? OK. Bye!” I put the phone down, my hands trembling. Tears filled my eyes. How desperate Mum had sounded! The way she talked to me; she sounded so fragile, like she would shatter into a thousand pieces if someone touched her. Had I caused all this?

I curled up on the sofa, forgetting Jasmine and Zed, forgetting my surroundings. I imagined that I was curled up at home, on my bed, cursing at Bumba or Will for getting me into trouble again. Next to me was my desk, full of books on sci-fi and adventure. I remembered how I had always asked myself if I believed in aliens. A few years ago, I had decided that I did. Maybe not little green people with antlers, but some form of life somewhere else. The countless times I had sat there, wondering what the alien was doing at that very minute. Was it sleeping? Reading? Was it a girl or a boy? A small, fleeting smiled appeared on my face, but it quickly disappeared as I remembered where I and why I was here. Behind me was a window. It looked down on a small roof, which I had often laid down on during summer. When it had got too stuffy in my room, especially at night, I would lie down on the cool tiles and stare at the stars. That was one of the best memories I had of my home.