Chapter three

King Cezar

"King Cezar, Dr Simpson is here to provide a report on the progress on the bodies we found. He also had news on the project you assigned to him," Titus announced and I nodded lazily opening my eyes as I turned in my throne.

In the vast expanse of a grand room, there lies an empty white throne room, an epitome of regal splendour and minimalist elegance. The chamber exudes an aura of majesty and importance, a space reserved for the ruler of this new world. Yet, at this very moment, it remains relatively empty, an ethereal emptiness pervading its atmosphere. Guards stand along the walls, standing tall with their spears in hand and facing forward with our sigil on their breastplate armour. 

Behind the throne sat floor-to-ceiling windows that looked out across the capital, the king always overseeing watching the ants of humanity scurried around like the pathetic beings they were. Illuminating from the windows the ceiling was an immaculate fresco of celestial beings and divine constellations spreads across the expanse, showing all the worlds the Goliks had conquered. The rays of soft light filtered through casting almost an otherworldly glow into the room on the otherwise barren floor. 

The large wooden door, engraved with swirls and ancient runes from humanity's history, swung open and I sat up tilting my chin as I stared at him. Dr Alfred Simpson, a world-renowned scientist and my work dog for years now but within three years, he had changed. He had worn away as a man becoming a shell of what and who he once was. His grey eyes hidden behind glasses had lost all the fire, passion and drive. Dark purple shadows were now permanent shades beneath his eyes. He had thinned out, his face sickly and frail. He had turned into a frail old man... All because he had lost his children during the Conquering two years ago. 

Alfred shuffled in, his face turned down to the floor as he fidgeted. His hands were ringing and clutching anxiously while his eyes darted around at the guards who stood around him. He hadn't shaven in some time, a grey stubble making him look unkempt. I knew Titus was disgruntled about his appearance, I didn't mind. The man's mind was vast and filled with incredible information and problem-solving skills. He could come in dressed in trash and I wouldn't have minded, so long as he continued to work. 

"Alred, do not look so glum! I am told your progress is coming along smoothly on all accounts. Brilliant, excellent work. Besides, you should show more gratitude towards me." I rested back on my throne tilting my head and smirking wickedly watching him flinch beneath my gaze as he stood thirty feet from me. His hands clasped together, tension filling his body. "After all, if not for me and my people... Your daughter may not have lived for as long as she could. Not that it matters now since she is no longer living." The flinch that vibrated through him was oddly satisfying as I rose to my feet. I towered over the frail man, both in height and broadness. "But the debt remains."

Even after all this time, after all, that we had done together, he was still beyond frightened of me. Perhaps it was my stature or the fact at a flick of my wrist his life would be null and void but it showed he was a smarter man than most. 

"Yes your majesty," he bowed his head sighing beneath his breath as he retrieved his report from his pocket. A thin metal bar was pulled from his pocket and when he held it out, suddenly a visual screen popped out in front of him. He flicked a few screens over before he cleared his throat and spoke his voice clear but soft.  

"The two seekers that were stationed within Amarillo, Texas were brought in this afternoon after being found 48 hours ago. The cause of death from the coroner's report is that they were attacked by a small animal, possibly a wild dog or a wolf. His jugular was ripped out by the wild animal with notes of bites received to his ankles and wrists. The other human however was stabbed repeatedly in the sternum, puncturing a lung and causing bleeding in the lung suffocating them to death along with blood loss.