Part 2: A New Leader

Flameclaw watched as Squirrelstar and her small patrol left camp, he wasn't sure about her leaving the camp, since she was on her last life. He sighed and gazed across the clearing at the Warriors' den, where Hollylight was sharing tongues with Mousewhisker, Flameclaw has been keeping an eye on her lately, he didn't know why. It had been 3 moons since Hollylight and Silverclaw's warrior ceremony and Flameclaw couldn't help but still feel proud for both of them. Jayfeather had recently pasted away from an illness that struck the camp during the last weeks of leafbare. Flowerpetal became the new medicine cat and, after Jayfeather's death, she was very distant fore a while, but she eventually recovered.

As for Nightheart's kits, well, they can be very rambunctious, since they became apprentices a moon ago. They never stay out of the Warriors' den, they are always sneaking out of camp without their mentors, they're a pawful. But Nightheart always encouraged them, if they want to be great warriors. When Flameclaw was about to check if they caused anymore trouble, Ivypool, who was in Squirrelstar's patrol, limped into camp, Flameclaw rushed to her side.

"Ivypool! What happened?" She looked up at him, pain in her blue eyes. "Badger attack...Squirrelstar..." She paused, unable to tell him. Flameclaw knew what happened when Cherryfall and Lionblaze came into camp, both holding a limp ginger body in their jaws. The whole rest of the clan gasped, Squirrelstar was dead. Lionblaze and Cherryfall laid her down gently in the middle of camp, the clan gathered around to share tongues with her one more time and Flameclaw will sit vigil with her to send her to Starclan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was the day after Flameclaw's vigil and the elders had buried Squirrelstar that morning. He was planning on going to the Moonpool to get his 9 lives and become leader that night. Hollylight has grown closer to him since Squirrelstar died, he was grateful to her for being there for him. As the moon was rising, he ate a vole before he padded toward the camp entrance. Hollylight ran towards him.

"Good luck, Flameclaw, come home safe." Flameclaw nodded and padded through the tunnel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flameclaw stared in awe at the setting of Starclan. The clear sky and beautiful landscape. He heard a mew in front of him. He turned around to see the familiar flame-colored pelt.

"Welcome to Starclan, my son." It was Firestar, the Legendary Thunderclan leader when Flameclaw was an apprentice. He dipped his head to his father, Firestar smiled.

"I am very proud to see you follow in my paw steps. I was apart of a prophecy, and that required becoming leader, but you didn't need at silly prophecy to become well respected among the clans." He leaned forward and touched his muzzle to Flameclaw's head, "With this life, I give you the courage to fight for what's right, no matter how hard it would be." Flameclaw looked up at his father and he nuzzled him. Firestar backed away and a brown tabby she-cat took his place. Oceanheart.

"Mother..." Flameclaw muttered to her, she nodded. She leaned down and pressed her muzzle to his head. "With this life, I give you loyalty, don't be afraid to help other clans even when your loyalty in your own clan is questioned." Flameclaw purred at the sound of her soothing voice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flamestar dipped his head to Starclan as they said goodbye. Moonkit, his sister, gave him the life of trustworthiness, Jayfeather gave him the life of forgiveness, Squirrelstar gave him the life of justice, Hollyleaf gave him the life of strength, Sorreltail gave him the life of a mother's love, Bramblestar gave him the life of humility, and Comet, his uncle, gave him the life of wisdom. 

As Flamestar faded from Starclan, he prepared himself for the struggles he will face as leader of Thunderclan. He started padding back to camp, to start his new life as Thunderclan's new leader.