Fake

Chapter 1

I throw my head back against my pillow and try to sleep. I haven’t slept in the last few days, so I suppose I should at least try to sleep a little. I’m not completely sure why I haven’t been able to sleep. It could be that I’ve been undercover for the last eight months and just finally closed the case. Perhaps I need a new bed or maybe I’m just not use to sleeping in my own bed yet. That could be a possibility. Sighing, I grab my phone and turn on my playlist. Perhaps some music will help me sleep. Just as I’m about to fall asleep, my phone rings.

“Hello?” I answer.

“I have a new job for you.” The recognizable voice of my boss says.

“What is it?”

“You’ll need to be undercover again. This time as a high school teacher. I need you to come in to the office now so that I can explain the rest of the details.”

“I’ll be right there.”

I hang up the phone and crawl out of bed. Flipping on a light switch, I maneuver over to my dresser and pull out some acceptable clothing. After pulling on the jeans and t-shirt, I walk into the bathroom to brush my teeth and comb my hair. Once I’m a little more presentable, I walk out of my apartment and start down the stairs. At the bottom of the stairs, I open the door and walk to my car. The cool air makes me shiver before I crawl inside of my 2008 black Ford Mustang. It’s a nice car and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Unfortunately, I don’t get to drive it often because I’m almost always undercover. I can only wonder what I’ll be subjected to this time. Bloody hell I really am getting tired of this. It only takes me a few minutes to drive to headquarters.

“Smith, glad you could make it.” My boss, Jackson Steel, says.

I nod and wait for him to explain the details of the case I’ll be working. He walks over to the coffee machine and pours two cups. He walks back over and hands me one. I take a thankful sip and go back to waiting for him to explain things.

“Do you know the President of the United States?” Steel asks.

“Not personally.” I reply.

“Well he has a daughter.”

“Really? I didn’t think he had any children.”

“He does, but he doesn’t know. It was a long time ago. Eighteen years to be exact.”

“Well that would explain going undercover as a high school teacher, but what’s the case about?”

“We believe that someone might be trying to assassinate or kidnap her.”

“Why?”

“We haven’t figured that out yet.”

“Does she know who she is?”

“No. As far as she knows she’s a typical teenage girl.”

“So my job is to protect her?”

“Yes. Get to know her. Make her trust you enough that you can keep an eye on her and not seem suspicious.”

“I think I can do that.”

“Good. You start tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow or in about three hours?”

“Seven a.m. today.”

“Okay. What does she look like?”

“Here’s a picture of her. She’s in your first period and homeroom.”

“What exactly am I supposed to be teaching?”

“Calculus. You majored in that correct?”

“Yes, but I’ve never taught it.”

“I’m sure you’ll be fine.”

“I’m sure I’ll survive.”

“That’s the spirit. I expect you to check in tonight after school is over.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Goodbye Smith.”

“Wait. What’s my cover?”

“You don’t have one. If anyone does a background check they’ll know everything except for the fact that you work here because no one knows about this agency.”

“Alright.”

“Goodbye Smith.”

“Goodbye, sir.”

I take the picture of the girl and walk out of headquarters. I have two hours to brush up on my calculus and to memorize what this girl looks like. It doesn’t look like I’m going to be getting any sleep tonight. I suppose that’s okay though. This is an important case and it demands my full attention. I’d better get to work as soon as I can. I climb out of my car and start memorizing the image of eighteen year old Emily Bryer as I walk up to my apartment for a couple hours of work.