CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE
DIVE IN DEEP

"Behind every exquisite thing that existed, there was something tragic."

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

     "Forget this ever happened, go back to your little human life, and never look my brother's way again."

Henrik watched with mild annoyance as Klaus compelled Luke to leave and forget about Henrik's entire existence. To say he was angry when he realized Henrik had brought someone home was an understatement, and Henrik had just barely stopped him from ripping poor Luke's head off when he had found out. He had hoped to get the human out of the mansion before Klaus got back—he hadn't been home when Henrik had led Luke up to his room the night before—but he'd been waiting in the shadows for Henrik to come downstairs, probably to jump him about Ethan again. Unfortunately, Luke had been with him, and now Henrik was watching him leave with a hollow feeling in his stomach.

As soon as the door closed behind Luke, Henrik sighed softly and said, "I suppose I should be grateful. At least you didn't kill this one." He walked the rest of the way down the stairs, hand gliding down the railing. He was wearing a loose white robe and little else, having been planning on walking Luke out before going back to bed, but now he didn't feel like sleeping. He headed for the kitchen instead. Klaus followed close at his heels. Henrik bit back another sigh and prepared himself for whatever Klaus was about to say.

"You are not to see him again," Klaus ordered. Henrik rolled his eyes and reached for the cabinet that held the coffee mugs. Pouring himself a rather large cup, he kept his face turned away from Klaus, making sure he couldn't see his expression. "Are you forgetting what is at stake? Our family, Henrik. I will not allow you to be distracted just because you feel a little lonely." It hit like a blow, something sharp right through his chest, and he set his mug of coffee down briefly and closed his eyes. He covered his hurt quickly.

"Being lonely and being horny are two very different things," Henrik said bluntly, hearing Klaus let out a sound of disgust. It gave Henrik a bit of satisfaction knowing what he had said made his brother so uncomfortable.

"If you wanted to get shagged so badly," Klaus said through gritted teeth, "then you could have gone somewhere else. You certainly have the money for a motel room." Henrik's nose wrinkled up just at the thought. He could hear Klaus move away from him, and a moment later, he heard the refrigerator opening.

"First of all, I'm not having sex inside a motel, ever," Henrik said, reaching for the jar of sugar pressed against the kitchen wall, sliding it across the counter and unlatching the lid. "And second of all, I was the one doing the shagging, not him." Klaus let out an even more aggressive sound of disgust. Henrik couldn't enjoy it long, because he was still caught up on Klaus saying he was lonely. He stirred the sugar into his coffee, then reached for the creamer packets in the cabinet, opening a few and tilting them in. "Finally, I'm not lonely. I was just bored."

"I should hope so," Klaus said with a scoff. The refrigerator door slammed closed, and Henrik couldn't quite stop himself from flinching. The kitchen had been fairly quiet until that point. "You are absolutely insufferable when you're feeling lonely, not to mention perceptible to things I'd rather not have distracting you right now. I don't need you turning into a lovesick fool, least of all in Mystic Falls." A bitter laugh left Henrik's mouth. He brought his coffee to his lips and took a drink.

"You don't need to worry about that," Henrik said once he was done. "I'm not falling in love with anyone here. Love is weakness, remember? You taught me that." There was a long moment of silence. Henrik didn't dare turn around to look at Klaus. He didn't want to see the look on his face, and the longer the silence lasted, the taller Henrik started to build the wall he was surrounding around his heart and mind. Klaus was about to say something cruel. He knew it, and he wasn't surprised when he did. Preparing for cruel words, though, didn't mean they hurt any less when they landed.