Chapter ① Sugar Cookies

The air was brisk and cool as you shut the window with a satisfied nudge. A 'whew' left your lips as you walked over to turn on the heater in your apartment. It was Christmas evening and you were planning to make some cookies to celebrate. It wasn't until you turned on the oven that you heard a firm knock at the door.

"Who is it?" You shouted as you pulled off your apron.

"Knock, knock!" A nasally reply came clear.

You rolled your eyes as you knew who it could only be. Running over to the door, you stood on your tippy-toes to reach the lock and pulled open the door.

"Osomatsu! I didn't know you were coming.~" You greeted him warmly.

"C'mon (Name)! How could I not spend this Christmas with you?" He grinned sheepishly, brushing over his nose with his finger.

You found that a cute habit of his as you let him enter your small home. He was all dressed up in a Santa outfit, completed with what looked like a sack.

"Way to be festive this year, huh?" You giggled, admiring his attire.

"Hey! At least I have the Christmas spirit, but I see you're looking as good as always, (Name)-chan.~" He smirked, looking you over.

You felt a blush creep over your ears as you looked away. You weren't looking that nice today, or so you thought. Your outfit was a nicely-fitted black sweater with sleek leggings and decorative socks. Although, you appreciated that he noticed that you put some effort into how you looked.

"I-I made cookies if you want some." You said suddenly, trying to change the subject.

"Goodie!" He shouted, putting down the sack at last.

He hummed a tune, you inferred to be a Christmas one, as he made his way into the kitchen. He sniffed the air feverishly as he walked over to the oven.

"I knew you'd be a good cook, but not this good!" He teased you as you entered as well.

"Huh? If that's the case, you don't have to eat any." You said sarcastically, folding your arms over your chest.

"I'm kidding.~" He grinned, waving you off.

After about twenty minutes or so, the cookies were finally ready. You switched off the oven and grabbed a mitten to protect your hands. Bending over, you opened the oven door as a delicious aroma spread through the air.

"Wow! Hurry and take those out, (Name)! They smell really good.~" Osomatsu shouted excitedly.

"Alright, alright.~" You said over your shoulder as you lifted the pan onto the stovetop.

You removed the mitten and tossed it aside. You nodded in satisfaction at your handy work.

"They should be ready now." You said confidently.

"In that case . . ." Osomatsu trailed off as his hand plucked the sugary delicacy.

Placing it into his mouth, he chewed slowly, as if trying to savor every bite. At last, he swallowed and his eyes grew large.

"These taste amazing! Nice job (Name)! They're better than my own mom's cookies, but don't tell her that." He laughed abruptly.

You exhaled in relief, happy that he enjoyed your cooking. There was no reason to be tense of course, but somehow you couldn't help it around Osomatsu. Unconsciously, you reached for one yourself and tasted it. It was pretty decent for your first time making it, as you looked to him for confirmation. After you finished your share, you felt Osomatsu reach for your hand.

"There's a bit of sugar on your face (Name).~" He whispered, getting closer to you than usual.

Before you could process it, Osomatsu kissed you gently on your lips. His lips were coated with the very same sugar you were accused of, but you didn't bother to reveal that to him. The sweet scent mingled through the air, and no sooner did you have your back against the counter. Before the kiss could deepen, he parted ways with you, leaving a draft of cold air between you both.

"S-Sorry, (Name). I couldn't help it." He stuttered, beginning to turn away from you.

You only stood against the countertop, absolutely speechless.