Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Kimberley's POV

Today's the day. We had the phone-call yesterday evening. The treatment starts today. Four to six weeks they said. In four to six weeks we'll know my future, or lack of.

Cheryl's is determined. She's determined to be the person holding my hand through it all, wiping my tears through the moments of weakness and loving me in my moments of loneliness. She even stayed with Nadine and me last night, she held me close until early this morning, only leaving my room so she could have some rest.

"Nadine? Is it all right that I come today?" I hear Cheryl's voice from outside my door.

"Yeah, she wants you there." Nadine replies in her thick accent.

I hear Cheryl sigh heavily before giggling a little and walking downstairs.

Even with all of this going on, it doesn't stop me thinking about the future.

I still want the white picket fence, the car in the drive, the freshly cut grass lingering in the air. I want all that. I want all that with Cheryl, but right now, I feel stupid when I think about it, I feel like that child that tries to convince their mummy that they'll grow up to be a princess.

"Kimberley?" I hear Cheryl's voice calling me from outside.

"Come in babe!" I say, throwing on my t-shirt.

"How you feeling?" Cheryl asks, thrusting her hands in her pockets and shifting nervously.

"Fine." I lie. On the outside I look fine, I plaster on a fake smile and dry eyes, but inside I'm screaming, but nobody can hear.

"No you're not." Cheryl says, finally taking her hands from her pockets and walking over to me.

"I am, honestly!" I say, trying to convince myself more than anybody.

"Kimberley! It's okay to worry." Cheryl says.

"I know, but if I worry now, in the long run, that's time I've spent worrying when I could be happy." I shrug.

"That's true, now come on, we've got to go."

-----

"How was it?" Nadine asks as we leave the hospital.

"Um, okay I suppose, I'm a bit tired though, I don't know if that was things they injected me with, or the fact I didn't get much sleep last night."

"Bit of both." Cheryl laughed as we sat in the car.

"When have you to go back?" Nadine asks.

"Um, next week, but they gave me these to take every day." I tell her as I hold up a plastic bag with different pills in them.

"So, what do they do?" Cheryl asks.

"I don't know really, but I take the blue ones twice a day, the red ones before bed, the white ones every four hours and the purple ones if I feel any type of pain apparently." I shrug, "They're supposed to help."

The car ride is pretty silent, but we're all thinking the same thing. Cheryl's thinking it, Nadine's thinking it, I'm thinking it. We're all thinking about how many days I have left.

On the way home I take in every little detail of Bradford. Since coming back from London a few days ago and dropping Skye off her with aunt again I've appreciated this little town I've been able to call my home.

I take in the run down shops on the high-street. A small smile plays on my face. That's not just some little old shop, that's the shop where I bought my first sweet with my own money as a child. That's not just the little shop I always sigh at as I pass, that's the shop that hold's my earliest memory.