Hijaab and a pair of glasses.

It was Saturday morning! I jumped out of bed, washed my face and quickly got dressed. I pinned my hijaab on, making sure it framed my face perfectly and hid my turkey neck chin. Plain faced, i slipped my boots on and walked out the house, letting the cold, frosty air hit me in the face. No one else in my house was awake as it was 7am and my mum was always weary about unlocked doors so I locked the door from the outside and popped the key in through the letter box. I rummaged into my messy bag, full of paper and bus tickets, and searched for my bus card. I shoved my bus card into the pocket of my trousers and attempted to untangle my headphones.

By the time i had untangled them, i had arrived at the bus stop. I popped my headphones in and searched for a decent song. Lana Del Rey's "Ride" flooded into my ears and i turned the volume up until i couldnt hear the cars on the road in front of me. I looked up at the time board for the bus. It read my bus as DUE and just as it did i saw the bus turn the corner into the road...

Thank God.

I rubbed my hands together and blew into them in an attempt to warm them up. The bus drew closer, so i moved back until the driver opened the doors and i practically leaped on.

***

I strode into the shop. It had been 3 months since i had started working there. I was welcome with the usual cheesy grin from Michael. He would open the door for me and we'd both have a catch up over our week. Saturdays had officially become my favourite day of the week. Michael would tell me about all the stress with his girlfriend and how he despised her very being and i would tell him that he should prioritise himself over her and if he doesn't feel happy, he should leave her. Their relationship had been rocky for a while now and it made me upset seeing how it affected him as he was now a close friend of mine.

That particular Saturday, despite his efforts to act normal, i could tell something was bothering him but i didn't ask. I didn't want to pry so i thought it best to let him speak to me when he was ready. The day passed on as usual, laughter and jokes. Me and Michael would nudge and poke each other throughout the entire day. We would talk about random politics with the others and have small discussions here and there. Sometimes i felt like Michael would flirt with me and i would flirt back but whenever i looked back on it i always convinced myself that he would never like me or find me attractive.

I would never be worthy of someone like him and guys never notice me anyway. I'm just plain, old Kaseema. A hijaab and a pair of glasses, that's it. There is nothing beautiful about me, i always told myself.

That evening, he dropped me off home. It had become a ritual now, without even thinking i'd walk to his car and he would take me home. I would tell my mum i was walking just so i could spend a few extra minutes with Michael. He parked up his car a few streets away from my house, switched off the engine and turned to look at me.

"You know when people go home and they sit down and they're finally comfortable, i feel like that when i've parked up here after work and i'm sat here with you," he said, smiling.

I looked down. My heart was beating fast and i could feel myself blush. Before he noticed, i looked back at him and smiled a huge smile.

"SAME! I love sitting here and just chilling with you... it's so calming"

"What are you doing when you get home?" He asked.

"Nothing much, avoiding my mother and drowning in revision," i replied, rolling my eyes.

We sat in silence for a while. I enjoyed his presence so much and i felt like he enjoyed mine. He was my most trustworthy friend. I had told him absolutely every detail of my life and he had told me a lot about his. I felt like we had a bond which couldn't be explained. It was more than friendship but it wasn't love... i didn't think it was anyway.

"I best go now Michael. My mum will be wondering where i am..."

He dropped me off at the end of my street. Just before i got out the car i asked him if he would like something.

"What is it?" He asked, sounding confused.

"Remember what you had asked me for, like a week back and i said no?"

"Hmm.. i don't remember," he said, still confused.

"Think..."

After about 30 seconds his face brightened up.

"Oh! A hug?" He beamed.

"Yeah, would you like one?" I asked, trying to hide the nerves in my voice.

"Yeah, i really would," he said soothingly.

I don't know what came over me in that moment. I feel guilty thinking about it now but i just did it without even thinking. I undid my seatbelt, climbed over onto his side and sat on his lap. I avoided the steering wheel, put both my legs on one side, faced him and i hugged him for the first time. I was hoping he wouldn't hear my heart drumming through my chest or my heavy breathing. I felt him tighten his grip around my waist and i held him tighter and we stayed there for about a minute. I removed my arms from around him first and grabbed my bag.

"I'll see you next week, Michael."

I felt too shy to even look him in the eye.

"See ya," he whispered.

I opened the door on his side and climbed out. I looked back and waved...

Oh my gosh...

A/N:

I am so sorry for not updating in such a long time but enjoy :)

Let me know what you think.
Much appreciated.