Chapter 3

Dominic sat down sipping the wine that had been brought to him "Tell the innkeeper for my clothing I am to leave."

The room only heated with fire, he looked at his trembling hand. Wondering about his future bride, he stopped drinking and continued staring at the flickering fires.

He frowned remembering days were him and his friends use to dream about their perfect bride, falling in love and protecting her.

It was amusing, he dressed in his mothers clothes and they would prance around the gardens gayly, receiving chuckles from the woman and a lecture from the men.

His father would punish him as soon as the guests left, whipping him or not feeding him. An array of punishments as he grew older the variety increasing.

Mentally Dominic was weak, developing he should of seen his father as someone to inspire to rather than hate and for a mild period after Dominic's knighting he thought his father loved him. But his father loved what Dominic had and wanted to grab as much of if, as his family, as possible.

"Yes, my lord," The maid curtsied before examining the young noble man, arrived since the previous night he had no ring on his finger and had never mentioned a wife, a baron most likely.

The redhead wench images of being the lady of a household to a baron. It pleased her. "My lord, is there anything that you require?"

She battered her lashes, revealing more hair from her coif, a simple white one she hoped she looked the picture of innocence."Yes I require you to get your master," Dominic replied coldly, a man of business.

He did not have time for playthings. Dominic believed no one did. The world was slowly crumbling and yet some had time to sit down and do nothing. Waste their lives.

The maid curtsied again, this wasn't going to be an easy conquest. But all men succumbed to their urges.

She played with a escaped lock of hair."I will surely get him, my lord." Smiling at him her mind full of thoughts driven from the bible Adam and Eve, the seduction of a woman wanting power..

Pushing her bosom towards him, she was startled when she received as payment a slap to the face and a shove on the ground.

"Forgot it Mistress I will get your master myself and remember I am above you an earl nonetheless and I do not take lightly to," He stopped in mock thought as the young woman cried out in pain to his kicking. "Whores."

He stepped over her, grabbing the shirt that was originally there all along, knowing that the young harlot was not even focused on her work. He donned it on and left the money on his counter."I will of course tell your master how much I left there," He stated.

He said farewell to the owners and then went outside.

Walking out, he was still thinking. A wife, another human being he had to protect and of course the honour and who she was would count as well. Coughing slightly, he rubbed his hands together. Winter nights like this reminded of his previous life,before entering the Knights of the guard.

He was unwanted, unloved. His father leaving him outside like the cattle for slaughter and hearing of his son's success quickly returned as the 'Loving Father' he was to support his son and choose his bride.

The night cold air slapped him in the face, as he walked quickly into the carriage. Looking outside he wondered of his new bride. His elder cousin warning him that woman should be obedient and a difficult woman crushed, he hoped she would be. He had no intention of crushing her but he would do it.

He was to be above her and she would simply have to accept her fate. He had accepted his and he did not hope for any happiness he could not have.

Stepping out the carriage, ruffling his dirty blond hair he thanked the driver before entering the house. Simple, it probably only had four rooms unlike his stately manor with at least sixteen.