We and Us

I lazily and carelessly trudge through the woods, while Carl follows behind me and always asks 'are you okay?' after every three seconds.

"Are you okay?" He asks again. "I'm fine," I murmur, rolling my eyes. My arms fall to my sides as I continue walking.

I nearly jump out of my very own skin as Carl snakes his arms around my waist and spin me around, slinging me on his shoulder.

"Carl, put me down." He refuses silently and doesn't stop carrying me to Alexandria in the pitch black dark.

"I'm sorry that you had to kill that guy." He starts. "But this is life now. There's nothing you can do to change it."

"I know, but it's just that I didn't know him. He could've had family or-or was helping someone."

"Alayna, we have family waiting back for us at Alexandria, we are trying to help people. He didn't care about us. If he did, he wouldn't have tried to kill us."

He tries to help all this sink in early and make it seem like I'm on the good side of things, and I know I had no other choice.

"And then you'd-" "Carl, okay, I get it." I giggle as I flip on his shoulder, landing on my feet behind him.

"Wow, I didn't know you could do that." "Me either, but I guess I'm trying new things." I giggle, brushing the nappy hair out of my face.

"Come on," Carl grabs my hand and holds it. "Let's head back to Alexandria. They're probably worried about us and waiting."

"I highly doubt that," I roll my eyes and I tug him backwards and make him stop. "Why don't we stay out here for awhile? It's still peaceful."

"Unless you want me to take you on this tree right here," He points to the random tree beside us. "Then I suggest we go."

I smirk slightly. "Well, try and catch me." I start sprinting, leaving Carl trailing behind me. "Alayna!" He calls out.

I laugh, and continue running. As I run over the hill, a walker hits me and I tumble downward until I come to a hurtful stop.

The walker falls right on top of me and it's teeth snap at me. I push it back from my face by its shoulders.

"Ugh! No! I've been through too much to die now!"

I quickly yank out my gun and shoot a bullet through the walker's skull. Out of breath, I sit up and hold my head.

"Carl!" I scream as I find out that I can't climb the hill due to my aching head and throbbing sides.

"Where are you?" He shouts back, earning a sigh from me. "Down the hill! Come here, please!"

He glances down the steep hill and storms down to my side.

I sheepishly explain what happened and he nods, then kisses my forehead gently with his chapped lips.

"Hop on my back," Carl demands and I give him a worried glance. 

"Get on my back," I climb on his back willingly and wrap my legs around his waist.

I hold on tight as he starts up the hill, and kiss his shoulder lightly. "You can put me down, now." I laugh as he gets to the top of the hill.

"Nope, you're in pain. I'm taking you to Alexandria."

"Okay, but I told you that you could let me get down. I don't want to hear any complaining." I chuckle.

"Yeah, yeah," Carl replies, giggling as he continues to stomp through the woods. Leave crunch under his feet as we pass tress that all seemed familiar.