Section One

I had given up

Pain. That's all I felt. Unbearable pain shooting up my right leg. I had hoped the jump would be enough to kill me, damn those vines for being so short. I wonder where Minho is. Minho? Oh, no..Minho.. He'll be so disappointed in me. And what about Alby? Oh, Christ. I couldn't let the grievers get me, I had to get up. For them. If not for myself, then for them.

I tried to push myself up and I screamed as my leg moved with my body. The pain was excruciating. I don't remember anything before the maze, but I was sure I'd never been in so much pain. By the time I had finally gotten upright, I was sweating and my heart began to beat faster.

The sun seemed to have gone down a lot while I tried to get up. This was worrying. By the looks of it, the rest of the runners were definitely out of the maze by now, which means I had to hurry. Feeling tears begin to form, I wiped my eyes with my arm, getting blood on my sleeve. It was then that I realized I must have hit my head hard as well.

No matter the pain, the blood, the sweat, I went onward. Luckily, I had remembered the path I had taken to get here. I tried walking but my leg couldn't handle it. I fell onto the ground once again with a thud. I yelled out in agony.

"No." I muttered to myself. "No, no, no, no, NO!" I gradually got louder and louder until I was repeatedly yelling out in protest. This couldn't happen to me. Sure, I wanted to die, but by being torn apart by grievers? No, I couldn't have those bloody monsters get me.

I got up, despite the pain, and dragged myself through the path I had come from earlier. I dragged, and clawed, and crawled for what felt like hours.

Later, I'm not sure how much later, it was very dark. The maze would be closing in just a minute. Things didn't seem to be in my favour, but I had to keep going. All I had to do was turn the corner. And I did.

I felt the ground begin to shake, and heard the loud grinding of stone against stone. I let out a sob, trying to pull myself towards the glade as fast as I could. The boys seemed to lose hope, until one of them, Jake I think, yelled "Look! He's right there!" and pointed my way. The boys were yelling for me, cheering me on. The runners weren't there, probably in the den. There was no way I could make it, though. Not at this speed.

As luck would have it, Gally decided to break the rules, along with Alby. The two sprinted towards me and heaved me up. Alby on my left and Gally on my right. The doors were closing in, we were running out of time.

I began to sob, disgustingly, like a child who had their ice cream taken. I was going to die. All three of us were going to die. All because I'm not strong enough. Gally let go of my right side and grabbed my legs instead, Alby holding me under my arms. They went as fast as they could and somehow, we managed to get onto grass.

They set me down as the doors closed behind us. I heard boys running, some asking if I was okay. "What happened?" "Is Newt okay?" "Damn, that shank got shucked up!" I could hear boys running towards me from the right. Runners, I thought. Minho is going to be so upset. I cried and cried as my leg continued to throb. It felt as if it was being ripped apart.

"What the hell happened to him?" Minho exclaimed, kneeling down next to me. "Someone get the medjacks!" He exclaimed. When no one went, he looked up. "Someone go get them!" He yelled louder, and a couple runners ran towards the medical shelter. Minho, Alby, and Ben all tried to talk me down. Telling me it'll be alright, telling me that the medjacks are almost here.

When the medjacks arrived, I was lifted on our makeshift stretcher and carried to the medical shelter. I screamed as they tried to move the bones to where they needed to be. Pushing them back in so they no longer protruded from my ankle. I let out a blood boiling scream and started to sweat. "Agh!"

"Agh!" I sat up, panting and blinking fast. The others were standing around me, some kneeling, and looking at my distressed form.

"Newt. Hey. Are you alright? You really freaked us out." Tommy explained worriedly, looking me in the eyes. I let out a dark, humourless chuckle and realised that my stomach was not okay with the memory I just had. I stood up quickly, pushing the others away. I ran about ten feet away and barfed out water, because that's all I had these days. I could hear Jorge answer Tommy's question by saying

"Obviously not, hermano. He's vomiting."
I could practically feel Tommy roll his eyes. He would find Jorge's proclamation stupid too. I stood up and turned around, facing everyone.

"Sorry, guys." I said before wiping my mouth with the sleeve of my jacket. "Didn't mean to wake you up." The others nodded.

They all said that it was alright. Eventually Frypan chimed in. "Shuck, if I were British, I'd probably yell a lot, too." Everyone laughed, and I let out a small giggle and shook my head.

All of our heads snapped to my left when we heard a screeching sound. A crank. I thought. Oh, good job Newt. We all flinched as it ran towards us, and Jorge shot it in the face with one of WCKD's electric guns. The crank fell to the ground, dead.

"We should get a move on." Tommy announced. "It will be morning soon anyways." I reached down and rubbed my ankle, out of habit. Most of us nodded, and we picked up our belongings and began to set out to the east, in search of a town to settle in. In search of a new home.

As we walked, with me limping behind, Tommy fell back next to me.

"Hi." He greeted me. I looked up at him and smiled in response.

"Hey..." I replied, suddenly remembering his nickname. "Greenie." I smirked.

He groaned, "Nooo, not that again!" I giggled and he joined me in the laughter. Eventually, when we'd gone silent, Tommy frowned.

"Hey," he said suddenly, grabbing my attention and pointing to my ankle. "What's up with your leg today? Did you hurt it?" I sighed, rolling my eyes.

"Nothing, Tommy. I told you, sometimes I have bad days on this thing." I replied, nodding down towards the ground. He nodded slowly before looking up at me with that face that says "Please do this for me.". I knew automatically what he wanted to know. "No, Tommy, I don't feel like talking about it."

"Why can't you tell me what happened, Newt? You trust me, don't you?"

I sighed, running my right hand through my hair. "I just- I don't-" I sighed again, stopping and turning towards him. "It's a touchy subject, Tommy. That's all I can say at the moment so if you could please just let. it. go. then that would be fantastic." I snapped, immediately regretting it. We continued walking in silence. "Thomas, I'm s-"

"Don't." He cut me off, refusing to look my way. Come on. I thought. Please let me see those beautiful brown orbs. Please, I need to know that we're alright. I love you so much, Tommy. I could never actually want to be mean to you it just happened I-.

"Okay" I simply replied, seeming cool, while on the inside, I was screaming again. "Love is so complicated." I mumbled to myself.

"What?" He asked, snapping his head towards me with a disgusted look on his face.

I sighed, I knew I was going to start crying soon. "Nothing." I replied shakily, swallowing and trudging behind him.