33-Sway

ARTIST: Blue October       SONG: Sway

..."...I only wanna dance with you...Every time I try...We only get an hour or so..."...

The four of us enjoy a nice relaxing dinner at the steakhouse and after we say goodnight to my dad, Faith and I follow Jake to his house. 

When we get inside, Jake has half the furniture in the living room rearranged to make room for a table that is set up to play beer pong and the kitchen counter is full of a variety of liquors, while three full kegs of beer sit on the floor.

"Holly hell Jake! Think you got enough alcohol?" I ask in surprise.

"Let's hope so." He chuckles.

"Um...Faith? Do you think you could help me mix a couple of drinks up?" Jake asks.

"Sure. If you get me three big bowls, with what you have here, I can make three different kinds of punch for people to drink."

I settle myself at the kitchen counter to watch Faith begin to pour different levels of alcohol, juice, and soda into each bowl.

"Do you actually know what you are doing there?"

"Yes Landon, my mother is an alcoholic remember. I have been mixing drinks since I could reach the counter."

"Oh." That's all I can say because at the mention of her mother, my stomach flips.

"Since you could reach the counter? So, last week then?" Jake jokes with her.

"Fuck you." Faith chuckles at him as she continues to mix the drinks.

"You seriously aren't going to help out?" Jake asks me as he dumps a pile of deli meats and cheeses onto the counter.

"What do you want me to do?" I ask; giving into him.

"Put all this meat and cheese onto this platter and then put the crackers and pretzels in those bowls."

"Faith is making drinks. I'm doing all of this. What are you going to be doing Jake?"

"I have to put this vegetable tray together." He says.

"Wow Jake, I'm impressed that you have all this food at your party. Do you have any idea how many parties I have been to and there isn't any food in sight?" Faith says as she continues to mix the drinks.

"Yeah me too and I fucking hate that. I like to pick at food when I'm drinking; helps me pace myself a little bit."

"Hey Jake? That hot blond that you couldn't get it up for, was there food at that party?" I ask with a chuckle.

"Fuck no there wasn't and that's exactly what I'm talking about. I bet, if I would have had some food in my stomach, I could have fucked the shit out of that girl." Jake's tone is so serious that Faith and I end up laughing at him. 

Jake flips the two of us off as he leaves the kitchen to go answer the door after we hear the doorbell ringing.

In less than twenty minutes time, Jake's house has nearly a hundred people in it and they just keep coming. 

People are crowded in every room and between the loud music and all the voices, it's hard to concentrate on a simple conversation with Faith. 

We both keep asking each other to repeat what we are saying but we quickly give up and stop trying to talk all together. 

Faith is standing in front of me and I have my chin resting lightly on top of her head as she has her hands wrapped around my hands as I hold onto my crutches.