Chapter 3

I scrambled up, willing the angry tears to stay at bay, as I sprinted out the door, the teacher yelling about how we still hadn't been dismissed, even though the last bell had just gone.
Running through the front gate, the tears blurred my vision as arms encircled my waist.
"Val? Are you okay? What's going on?" Ghastly asked, hugging me to his chest as I soaked his clothes with tears. "What are you d-doing here?" I sobbed, clutching him tighter. Kids started to spill out of the gates, and I gasped as I quickly spotted Carrie in the crowd, and dragged ghastly back to his van. Ignoring the odd stares, I jumped into the windowless back, and slouched against the wall. Ghastly paused, before climbing from the front into the back with me. He immediately pulled me onto his lap, as I continued crying. "Skul asked me to pick you up, As Erskine wanted to talk to him." Ghastly murmured, as I sniffled nodding. "Now. What happened?" He asked, and I finally looked at his concerned face, and told the first person.

"So, how long has this been going on?" He asked, his eyes searching mine. "I... Since year three. I dropped out from year 4-6 because of it." I admitted, and he shook his head in anger, whilst cracking his knuckles out of an angry habit. "I swear...." He murmured, mumbling about hurting someone.
"I want you to do something for me." I stated, straightening up and looking him directly in the eyes.
"Don't tell anyone." I pleaded, and he frowned, his eyes clouding. "You mean, no one else knows?" He asked in a defeated voice. I nodded, frowning myself. "Not even Skul." I admitted. He sighed, rubbing his now tired eyes.
"I'm sorry Val, but I have to tell someone!" He pleaded, as I shook my head in stubbornness. "Come on Val! This has gone on to long! You haven't even told your boyfrien-..." Ghastly paused, blushing as he was caught out. I blushed bright red as well. "You knew?" I squeaked out, hiding now behind a wall of hair. Ghastly nodded, grinning. "Me and Erskine caught you two kissing behind the sanctuary. We didn't want to say anything, as it isn't our business, but... Your young val, and we think things will get heated between you to and-" I shoved him lightly, signalling he'd taken it to far. "Hey! Your right, it is none of your business!" I blushed furiously, as his eyes softened. "We're just looking out for you, Val. Anyway, what do you think Erskine wanted with Skulduggery?" Ghastly wiggled his eyebrows as I glared at him, before my eyes softened.
"Thankyou for this Ghastly... It was good to finally tell someone, and I understand if you tell Skul,  just... Do it in a way where he doesn't want to kill anyone?" I sighed, smiling at the thought of him killing Carrie for me.
Probably not the best thing to be smiling at but oh well.
Ghastly chuckled, his scars stretching as he smiled. "Of course. We don't need another unexplained disappearance." He laughed, hugging me gently before climbing back into the front seat. "You want to sit in the front?" He asked, looking at me in his rear view mirror.
I shrugged, shaking my head. " I like it back here, give me time to think." I responded carefully,  trying to word it right.
He smiled, starting the car.