Chapter 8

Katniss

As we reach the top of the stairs. I find that his apartment isn't much different than mine. Small, quiet, covered in posters of rock bands and old movies. He has an old couch in the middle of the room and he looks kind of embarrassed by how messy it is. But I like it. It looks normal and lived in.

"Sorry about the mess," he says and I laugh.

"Don't worry," I say. "Mine is worse." I drop my purse and go over and sit on the old musty sofa. "I reach for the strap on my blue heels and feel a sore pain in my ribs. "Ouch!"

"I did warn you," Peeta says and I glare at him.

"Yeah," I say. "You told me, I know that. So you can gloat all you want, but please help me get my shoes off first." He just shakes his head and kneels down in front of me. He carefully slips the tight shoes that hold my feet nearly vertical off and the blood flow returns to them.

"They're really red," he comments.

"Yeah," I say. "They'll be better after a few minutes." I stand up and grab my bag. "Now, if you have something I can wear to bed, I'll take a shower." He gets up and goes into a room at the back that I'm guessing is probably his bedroom. He comes back out a moment later with an old T-shirt and and some sweatpants.

"Will this work?" He asks. I nod.

"Yes," I say leaning forward and leaving a blue lipstick stain on his cheek. "Thank you."

"The bathroom is back there," he says pointing to the door next to his room. "Take anything you need." I nod and go in, locking the door behind me. I strip out of my clothing, a little slower than normal due to my sore ribs. I carefully peel away the bandage over my new tattoo. It looks a little swollen and red, but I swear Peeta's work is flawless.

"That is f***in' badass," I say. I turn on the shower and carefully clean my tattoo and then wash my body and face with Peeta's soap, making me smell like guy, but I love it. I wash my hair carefully and then turn off the shower. I get out and dry off.

I braid my hair and slide on the blue sports bra and cotton panties I had in my bag. I slide Peeta's clothes on and tie the drawstring on the pants so they'll stay up on my hips. I walk out of the bathroom and jump over the back of the couch, landing beside Peeta.

"Hey," I say.

"Hey," he says. "You look like yourself."

"What, you didn't like the Blueberry Queen," I ask him jokingly.

"She's nice," he says. "But I prefer my little small town girl much, much more." I smile at him.

"Oh you're good," I say. "You're really good." I lay my head on his shoulder and kiss his cheek. "So now that you've got me here, what are you gonna do with me?"

"I honestly don't know," he says. "You are a confusing person Miss Everdeen." I laugh softly.

"Well, if I weren't, you'd probably get bored with me," I say. He gives me a smirk.

"That's true," he says and I hit him playfully. "I'm kidding! I love having you around, Katniss. I don't think I could ever get tired of you." I try to hide my yawn, but he sees. "Right now I think I should get you to bed."

"I'm not tired," I protest but he just shakes his head and picks me up. He starts heading towards his room and I give him a look. "Where do you think you're taking me?" I ask him.

"You're sleeping in the bed," he says setting me down on it. "I'll take the couch."

"But, I'm smaller," I say. "I'd fit better on the couch."

"I don't care," he says. "You are going to sleep in my bed tonight and that's final."

"Taking charge," I say. "I like it. It's a bold move against a girl like me." He laughs and grabs a blanket out of the closet with a pillow and kisses my cheek.

"I'm right outside if you need anything," he says and I nod as he kisses my cheek. "Goodnight Katniss."

"Goodnight," I whisper back. As he leaves, shutting the door behind him. I crawl into his bed and curl up in a ball. Everything in here is dark and warm. The blankets and pillows smell like him and I smile as I fall asleep.

👠👠👠👠👠👠👠👠👠👠👠👠

I wake up with a start and look around, not recognizing my surroundings for a while. As I calm down, Peeta opens the door. I look up at him, still shaking a little.

"Are you okay?" He asks. "I heard you scream."

"It was just a nightmare," I say and he comes over and sits on the edge of the bed.

"About that night?" He asks and I nod.

"I keep feeling his body pinning me down and I can't breath," I say. He nods and pulls me out of the tangled blankets.

"He isn't here," he whispers. "It's just me and I promise, I won't hurt you Baby." I practically climb into his lap and he holds me, rubbing my back like a child.

"I'm sorry I woke you up," I say. He just shakes his head.

"That's alright, Katniss," he whispers. "I'd rather you woke me up than keep running around in a nightmare." He kisses my temple and I smile. "You okay?" I shake my head.

"No," I say. "I don't think I'll ever be okay."

"Well you should try to sleep," he says.

"I don't think I can," I say. "At least not alone." I pull away from him and look up into his calming blue gaze. "Will you stay with me?"

"Always," he says. "I promised you before, I'd always be there when you need me. I plan to make good on that promise every chance I get." He lifts me up and stands, pulling back the blankets. He gently lays me in the bed and then gets in, pulling the covers over us. I curl into Peeta's side and lay my head on his chest. His heartbeat booms in my ears, gentle and strong. I lift my head for just a moment and press my lips to his.

"I love you," he says, taking me by surprise. We hadn't used that word yet. I hadn't expected it. But I just smile and slide my arms around him.

"I love you, too," I whisper. After that, I feel his arms around my waist. I lay my head on his chest and he kisses the top of it. His fingers slowly stroke my hair and I smile, feeing very content.

"Goodnight Katniss," he whispers and I curl up even closer to him.

"Goodnight Peeta," I reply softly as I fall into the first peaceful sleep I've had in weeks.