Part 5: Will We Get a Job?

I'm sure that if you're an English Major or plan to be, that you've heard this or something similar. Will we English Majors get a job if we do not plan on becoming teachers? Yes. Contrary to popular belief, there is an abundance of career fields for English Majors.

For example, the most commonly known is a teacher. Other than that there are people who go into blogging, ghostwriting, copywriting, video game writing, freelance writing, media, publishing, editing, etc. These and so many more give the need for us English Majors. And if, along the way, some of us do become teachers that's okay too. I had a tenth grade teacher who worked as a freelance writer and technical writer before she decided to become a teacher, both jobs she had done from home. She once told me she worked as technical writer for someone from the Middle East because he wanted to write an instruction manual in English, but lacked the skills in the language to do so himself. 

Plus, a lot of these careers are flexible. Several would allow me to work at home, own my own business, and set my own times if I wanted to. I could possibly avoid collisions with my work schedule getting in the way of my personal schedule. 

So please, parents and other random people who care, stop implying that we won't be able to go anywhere with this degree if we don't wish to become a teacher.

Sincerely,

A frustrated aspiring editor, Elaura_B

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N

I'm thinking of starting a blog, but seeing as I am stuck on what I would possibly blog about, I'll stick with trying to find stories to edit. Who knows, maybe I can blog about that?!

Thanks for reading this far into my book; it's hard to call it a story when it's just a compilation of reasonable complaints that seem relevant. Anyway, please vote and comment so my book will be seen more!