1 - Eye of the Tiger (Edited)

April 2010 , UK

Miles had vanished between the wheels of the Ford Focus. The urn rested in the back seat.

There were somethings time could mend. Grief should be one. For Trinity Grace Smith, time could not mend the hurt of losing her mother to cancer. It was not as though Grace unexpectedly died. It was worse; the waiting for death, the pain and the decay of the body turning to skin and bones was what broke her.

Behind the big black sunglasses, Trinity hid her beautiful heterochromia eyes. The orange ring around the pupil contrasted brightly with the vibrant blue. They were puffy, red and dried out from crying so much. She felt the need to wipe away the non-existent tears that she could not form. The car went by the all the familiar places; the corner shop, the park and the only person who belonged in her memory.

Grief left an emptiness in her heart and a numbness in her soul. People's constant 'hang in there – you'll be okay' or the famous 'I'm sorry for your loss' were still fresh in her ears. She had to face her reality. Her mother was never coming back because she was ash in the back seat.

Her mother's gold locket hung around her neck. She gazed outside the passenger seat window, adjusting the sunglasses on her small nose. She pushed a few strands of her sleek raven hair behind her ear. The April wind calmed her soul.

"What are you thinking about?"

Uncle Ethan, who was driving, had an oddly charming voice. His hands, lithe and muscular held the steering wheel. He had his square face concentrated on the road ahead. He twitched his large Roman nose, hoping his round glasses could find their way to the bridge. He glanced at his niece a few times.

Trinity pulled a small smile from her full lips. "Would it be a lie if I said nothing?"

He nodded, hunching his shoulders "Good comeback."

To fill the silence, Trinity turned up the radio. DJ Keith was presenting the fifth candidate to make it to the Official Top 40 UK Chart.

Ethan blew a huff of air from his balanced oval lips. "Seriously, what has this generation of music come to? It's all nonsensical lyrics and noise pollution." He shook his head, signalling and steering to the right. "Now back in the day – yes, those were the good days."

He parked in the driveway of his detached house. Trinity had left the Victorian terrace house, once filled with happiness, now tainted with death. A few boxes of her belongings rested in the boot and on the back seat. She filtered through everything, held onto a few pieces that were once her mother's. Everything that belonged to her father, she dumped into charity, although she had a desire to burn it.

Trinity needed to start a new chapter. Ethan brought the house across town. She bit her lip, a nervous trait she had at a young age. Change was good and healthy, but she was not accustomed to change as fast as this.

Ethan unclicked his seatbelt. "Look," he began. "I know this is a difficult time and everyone has their own way of grieving. And you're probably going to hate for me for saying this –"

"Uncle -"

"I'm not blessed with kids and you're the closet I'll ever have to a daughter. Grace is irreplaceable. But if you need to talk, about anything, then you have me. I'll do my best."

"I know you will," she said with a half-smile, tapping his hand. "I lost mum, but you lost your sister. You knew her longer than me."

Ethan gave her a quick nod as they left the car. The sun beat down and the wind blew as he stretched his limbs. Trinity stared at him. Maybe with age and years of experience, you were able to mask grief. Her uncle was the type to keep his problems private and hold his head high. He had a calm and composed demeanour, always thinking with a rational mind. He was the type you could rely on in a crisis. Ethan walked around as though it was any other day, were as she felt like an empty carcass.