April, 1997

Friday

"Oh my God, Sam! Are you okay?" I said running up to him seeing blood running down his face. 'It was that freaking bully again'.

"Yeah. I mean except for the blood nose and everything..", he gave a sad smile.

"Sorry. Shouldn't have asked", I chuckled trying to lighten the mood.

I quickly ran off, came back with some ice and a tea towel from the gym room and handed them to him.

"Thanks".

There was a moment of silence.

"Who did it?"

"What?"

"You know what I mean, Sam. Who hurt you?"

"Uh, just some kid. It doesn't matter", he sighed.

"Yeah sure. Whatever", I rolled my eyes.

We were sitting on the bleachers. It was late afternoon and I stared out towards the beautiful sunset over the football field.
Sam was like a little brother to me and I just wanted to keep him safe. I asked if I could help out with the whole bully situation but he said he'd handle it.

"Hey Sam?"

"You can call me Sammy".

"OK Sammy. What do you want for your birthday?", I asked.

"How do you know my birthday's coming up?"

"I saw the birthday chart in your class, Mr. 2nd of May".

He laughed.

"So wha-"

I was cut off by loud engine revving and honking.

"Uh sorry I have to go", Sam said apologetically.

"No worries", I sighed.

I watched as Sam walked down the steps and towards the car. I noticed as he approached the car he slumped over and turned his head to hide his face but it was no use, because the guy picking Sam up saw his bloody face. I was assuming the one who was getting mad was his older brother.
Sam and, who I think is his brother hopped in the car and they drove off.
I decided to grab my bag and head home.

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

As I was walking down the road, I kicked every leaf and rock in sight.
'I wish my parents would just pick me up from school but they won't and they never will. I'm just a burden to them. Someone who just takes up another bedroom in their house.'
I heard a car slowly driving behind me and a wolf whistle so I decided to pick up my walking pace. He could've been a pedophile for all I knew.

"Need a ride home, sweetheart?"

"No thanks", I replied not bothering to look behind me.

"You sure?"

"Yes. I'm positi-" I swung around to look at whoever was talking to me.
He was driving a Chevy Impala. Couldn't exactly pick the year but I knew it was from the 60's and it was the same car that picked up Sam.