Six

"Hi," Honey said to the receptionist. "I'm here to see Tadashi Hamada... H-A-M-A-D-A."

The receptionist tapped on her keyboard and looked at the results on her screen. "Room 517," she said, pointing down the hall.

Honey thanked her and walked down the hall towards the elevator. She took a deep breath and adjusted her dress. The elevator was opening just as she reached it, and she stepped aside to let the passengers out. She slipped in as it emptied and pressed the button for floor 5.

The halls on the fifth floor were calm, and Honey quickly found Room 517. The door was cracked open, and she could hear voices from within. She knocked lightly.

She heard footsteps getting closer, then the door was pulled back. Aunt Cass smiled weakly. "Honey," she sighed. "Come on in."

Honey followed Aunt Cass past the curtain, uncertain of what to expect. She knew he was still unconscious and that he had burns, but how bad would they be?

The limp body on the bed brought tears to her eyes. Bandages covered most of his face, and the heart monitor bleeped rhythmically, interrupting the sickening silence. The IV in his arm only reminded Honey of his condition. She wiped her eyes and noticed Hiro sitting beside the bed. His head was laying on the blanket next to Tadashi's arm.

"Hiro's asleep," Aunt Cass whispered. "You've come at a quiet time."

"Has Tadashi woken up?" she asked.

Aunt Cass shook her head. "No. He's moved a few times but..." her voice wobbled. "The doctors are still unsure."

Honey choked on her tears. "I'm so sorry, Aunt Cass," she breathed, wrapping her arms around Tadashi's aunt. Aunt Cass received the embrace warmly, hugging Honey back.

There was movement from Hiro as he sat up and yawned. When he looked up, he stared blankly at Honey for a moment before it registered on his face.

She walked over to the bed and placed her hand over Tadashi's motionless one.

"It's so hard to see him like this," she whispered.

Hiro's face wrinkled up, and he buried it back in the blankets. Aunt Cass walked over to him and knelt next to him, hugging him even though he was in such an awkward position.

Honey looked at them and suddenly felt out of place. "I'm sorry," she managed. "Maybe I should go."

Aunt Cass reached a hand out to her invitingly. "No, please." She looked down at her younger nephew. "Hiro's been here for two days. I think he might want to go home and get some sleep."

"I don't," he said. "I'm not leaving Tadashi."

Aunt Cass bent down and looked him in the face. "I just want you to get some sleep. You haven't really slept here at all."

"I don't care about sleep," Hiro said. His eyes were red and swollen.

"But I care about you. I need to grab some things from home anyway," she said. "Just come home with me and sleep for a few hours, and we'll come back."

Hiro glanced longingly at his brother. "But-"

"I'm serious, Hiro. You need sleep."

He finally gave in, rubbing his eyes. He hugged Tadashi as best he could when his brother couldn't move. The act seemed to just make things worse, and tears streaked down Hiro's face. Aunt Cass put a hand on his back and guided him to the door.

"Honey," she said, walking back to grab her things. "You can stay here as long as you want. You can leave before we get back if you have to." She glanced at Tadashi. "He's in good hands here."