Chapter 5

After a few moments of confused silence, Audrey stumbled towards Heather to be enveloped in her arms. "Mother. . . what just happened?" she mumbled into Heather's shoulder.

Audrey tried to make sense of it all, suddenly realizing the magnitude of her situation, the mischievous side of her accepting this fact with glee, the other with fear. Adventure is not at all what it's cut out to be, half of her thought, the other was eager for more.

Heather sighed and smoothed Audrey's hair. "We could try and turn back if you want."

Audrey shook her head earnestly and composed herself, stepping back to look at the red stained door in the wall next to the now-empty wooden chest. She scowled. "But. . . that door wasn't visible or. . . feel-able, from the outside, was it?"

Heather furrowed her brow, coming to the same conclusion. "You are correct."

"But. . . logically. . . it should just lead back outside, shouldn't it?"

Heather nodded, disconcerted.

"We don't have any other choice but to follow it, do we?" said Audrey, outwardly sighing but inwardly excited.

"I suppose so," Heather confirmed worriedly.

Audrey's held her shaking hand out towards the doorknob and looked back to get Heather's final approval. At her nod, she twisted the knob and flung the door open, expecting the beautiful outdoors, only to be disappointed by a dim hallway. She stumbled backwards, toppling into an equally as surprised Heather. "But. . . Mother, it. . ." gasped Audrey, pointing.

Heather straightened out her gait and placed a hand on Audrey's trembling shoulder. "I know."

"This is all too weird!"

"I know it is strange, Dear, but you will have to be brave."

Audrey scowled. She had meant it in a good way. This was different. A bit frightening, perhaps, but exhilarating for once. She'd always considered herself brave; on those rare occasions when she was admitted an afternoon hunting with Gawain, she was a stealthy predator, unafraid of competition like bears and wolves, and knew how to steer clear of ogres. But during all that she had the assurance that she'd be home for supper at her tower, and now that she was in the heat of it, she hoped she could plow through.

She replied nonchalantly, "I am. And I will be."

"That's my girl," cooed ever-motherly Heather. Audrey's ears flared red and she was thankful no one else was around. She wasn't overly-fond of such nurturing praise, and urged Heather to follow her, heading down the ominous hall.

The darkness enveloped them almost immediately as the only light source was the room behind them. Audrey fumbled for Heather's hand and they crept side by side through the deepening gloom. Even her light, agile footsteps echoed ominously, and Audrey dared not make a sound as to break the thick silence. Heather, however, whispered, "It's not too much further."

Audrey's step faltered. Even Heather's rasp seemed unbearably loud in this lightless corridor. "How could you possibly know, Mother?" Audrey breathed.

Heather, however, did not have time to answer, as both her and Audrey suddenly started tumbling down what felt like concrete steps to Audrey's increasingly bruising limbs.

Audrey rolled off of the last step with a groan, and felt Heather land halfway on top of her her with a thud. Cringing, Audrey rolled her head to the side and saw they were in yet another hallway, but this time a door-shaped outline of light glowed hopefully in the distance. "Mother. . ." she rasped, trembling as she sat up.

Heather sighed and brushed herself off. She was already standing. "I think you took the most of it, Dear. I'm afraid I landed atop you. Here, let me help you up." Heather reached down to grab Audrey's hand. She pulled her to a standing position and asked, "Are you sure you want to keep going?"

"Well, we're waist-deep already. Why not?" said Audrey, trying to sound nonchalantly confident, even as she hear a far-off scream that sent chills down her spine. She ignored it and faked a roguish grin.

Heather glanced nervously at the distant doorway, then seemed to decide something. "I just. . . Oh, never mind," she finally said. "Come on."

They hobbled down the new corridor, the light at the end growing ever closer with each faltered step. As they neared it, Audrey again thought she heard something distant. This time they were murmuring voices, one shrill, the other groaning, but she ignored them, blaming her overly-active imagination. Heather supported a very aching but nonetheless adrenaline-filled Audrey on her shoulder. "Just a few more steps," urged Heather.

Audrey rolled her eyes and broke loose to limp the last few steps to the door on her own. She scrunched her eyes shut as she put a fist to her back and stretched before turning the knob and swinging it inwards. Her eyelids flew open when her ears were pierced by an awfully familiar shrill laugh and her vision was met by a blood red cruel smirk.

"Took you long enough."