Canis Minor

For Kai:
Thank you for the journey.
Love your people.

Follow the night sky.
Bound to the path of the star.
The transcendent truth.

Elle Watts

01: Canis Minor

Alice looked over at the young girl sitting just a few feet away on a log that framed the fire pit. "You're 'River' right? My name's Alice, most people call me 'Al'."

River's skin warmed at the acknowledgment from the upperclassmen. Alice was a couple of years older than River and was graduating in May. "Yes. I know who you are." Alice raised her eyebrow and her smile was quirky, the subtle changes in her expression nearly stopped River's heart in her chest. River shrugged unapologetically. "Well, everyone knows who you and Andy are." She paused and followed quietly with, "It's a good thing."

Both River and Alice attended West Summit High School in Jackson Hole Wyoming. The school was on the smaller side averaging about 150 per graduating class. In a school that size most of the kids were, in the very least, familiar with each other. Andy graduated a year prior and was a local football hero. Alice was a confident senior who was well liked by everyone in the school. Not quite as popular as her older brother, she seemed to balance ambition and kindness well. She made friends with people of all ages easily. River was sure working at the family business with customers helped Alice to develop that skill set. It was no secret that she was counting the days to graduation and moving east to attend Johnson and Wales to pursue a degree in Restaurant Management and Hospitality. Her family owned a well loved small restaurant just outside of town that served breakfast and lunch.

River was a relatively unknown sophomore still navigating the challenges of high school. She was comfortable with herself, naturally reserved, and content immersing herself in the family guiding business. Her parents owned a small Bed and Breakfast catering to higher-end clients who were seeking professionally guided excursions into the Grand Tetons. Her parents were experts in guiding and specialized in hiking, rock climbing, and fly fishing packages.

Alice grinned, "Oh, well then, good! I think!" Alice saw that the girl was reserved and nervous. "Is this your first campfire out here?"

"Um. Yes, it shows, huh?" River grimaced and stared into the flames of the fire.

Alice laughed softly at her discomfort. "Don't worry about it, River. Are you having fun?"

"Actually, not really. My friend Jax invited me out and then he took off with a girl. I'd much rather be home right now. No offense."

Alice wrinkled her nose, "None taken. That's gotta be a little awkward, what a jerk."

River broke from staring into the flames, she was surprised by the bite in Alice's voice. "Oh no! It's not like that! Jax is like a brother to me. We've known each other since we were kids. It's just, I don't really know anyone here." River shrugged, "You know, it's mostly upperclassmen."

Alice smiled and River's heart raced again. "Well, now you know me."

"Thanks, Alice."

When River grinned in appreciation. Alice thought to herself, "She's a cute kid, once she gets through this awkward stage she'll be a 'heartbreaker.'"

When silence fell over the two River looked up into the clear night sky. One benefit to the isolation of the ranch and most of the area in Jackson Hole was a lack of "light pollution." Most tourists who visited the area for the first time were astounded by what they could see in the night sky. River continued to gaze up as she spoke, "Do you see 'The Small Dog, Canis Minor'? It's one of my favorites."