Perks

04: Perks

Bea approached River and her clients, she smiled at the carnage on the table. "Well, it looks like you have had a successful trip to Elk Run!" The young girls grinned with delight and their parents groaned both satisfied and in discomfort.

"An amazing meal, as always Bea. Thank you so much." River nodded in gratitude.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it, I hope you'll come back and see us again."

River inadvertently glanced back toward the counter but didn't see Alice, "I'll be dreaming about that cinnamon roll Bea, I'm sure to be back. And these girls promised to come back out next summer to try their hand at rock climbing with me."

"Wonderful!"

As the group moved slowly from the table, River stepped closer to Bea. "I'll make sure the Summit takes care of the bill as always. Thank you."

"No problem. And this one is on the house, but you must promise to come back to see me about a proposal I have for you and Summit." River raised her eyebrow in curiosity. Bea smiled comforting her, "It's about Andy. No big deal."

"Oh. Okay. I'll come back today before you close, I have a couple of errands to run in town anyway."

Outside Sky whined and moved around the van poking his head out of the windows, his patience had run out. River opened the back door and when he came bounding out the girls squealed in laughter as he chased them around the van jumping for the bacon that was well within reach. Alice watched through the window and smiled softly at River who was trying to wrangle her dog and the two young girls into the van. Bea stepped up beside Alice and followed her gaze, "She'll be back later, to talk about Andy."

"Great Mom. I hope it works out." Alice looked around the restaurant. "Where is Andy?"

"He's still sitting in the storage room. I think he's playing solitaire."

Alice sighed deeply, "What's going on with him?"

"He's been going to the Veterans Hospital and his physical wounds are healing well, but he's suffering emotionally. It's not PTSD but he's mourning a life he once knew. He isn't coping well and he's having a hard time envisioning his future. I think he's depressed. So he lives a simple existence - day to day, moment to moment." Bea's voice was saturated with sorrow. "He's apathetic to almost everything. He just doesn't have the energy to care."
----

The Watsons spent a busy, but uneventful afternoon at Elk Run and they were closing in on 3:00 and the end of their day. Alice sighed in exhaustion all of a sudden realizing how long her day had been. She looked back into the kitchen and called Bea. "Mom, how about I take Andy home? Can you and Dad handle close?"

"Sure Sweetie. That's a good idea. Take Dad's truck. Keys are in it."

Alice smiled at the thought of leaving a car open with the keys inside. "This isn't New York." She murmured to herself.

Ed came hustling out from the back of the kitchen, "Al, wait."

"What's up, Dad?" Alice's Dad was never a good poker player. He was grinning now, excited. "There's a surprise for you at home, it's in the Squirrel's Nest.'"

"Okay, should I wait until you're home to look?" Alice found her father's excitement contagious.

"Nope! You have a look right away!" Ed seemed quite pleased with himself as he moved back into the kitchen.

Alice looked into the small storage room and office sizing up her older brother. "Andy, are you ready to go home?"

He barely glanced up in acknowledgement, "Sure."