First Kiss

Toff is fifteen years old when he had his first kiss.

It was two days before Valentine's day when Charlene, a daughter of one of his father's business associates, came to him with a nervous smile.

"Yes?" he drawled, giving a thin smile as he put his hands on his pocket. He glanced at his chauffeur and motioned with his hand to wait for him.

"Hey, Kristoff. Would you mind i-if..." the girl stuttered with a blush, and Toff internally scowled.

He hates it when people stutter in front of him.

"C'mon, you can tell me..." he softly reassured, giving her a charming smile. He saw her blush visibly deepen as she gave a less nervous smile. He internally smiled in triumph, remembering how his papa is always reminding him to be courteous to girls even when they are starting to annoy him.

Charm is both an asset and a dangerous weapon, his father always says.

"Well, you know about the dance, right? I was wondering if you and I could..."

"...could go to the dance together?" he finished for her, his eyebrow quirking slightly.

The girl nodded, still blushing heavily. Toff pondered this for a second, weighing the pros and cons of attending the school's silly dance.

Then again, he admires the girl for having the guts to approach him in the first place. He wasn't exactly the most approachable person—never in years now. The nightmare that is six years ago changed him in ways that worried both his papa and Maria.

All because of that... woman, he thought, gritting his teeth hard—it's his unconscious reaction whenever he was reminded of her.

"Kristoff?" a soft voice asked, and he whipped his head towards the girl. She was staring at him, her expression worried when she saw his darkening expression.

More aware now, he relaxed his posture and his expression and gave a relaxed smile. "Sorry about that, I got lost in my thoughts."

"Yeah, it happens," she nodded, looking relieved that she didn't angered the most popular boy in school.

No, it doesn't, he thought, but still nodded with a smile.

"About that dance... sure, we can go together. It'll be an honor to take you with me," another charming smile, and she's hooked.

Giddy, Charlene gave him her address and the time to pick her up. She then dashed towards her family car waiting on the other side. She went inside, but not before waving coyly at Toff.

He didn't waved back though, just smiled at the her. He waited until her car drove off—just to be polite—before walking towards his.

"Good day, sir?" Conrad the chauffeur asked, his British accent thick. Toff saw him peering at the rear-view mirror so he shrugged in reply.

"Not the worst," he added, throwing his bag beside him before settling in and staring blankly at the car window.

The man just nodded and restarted the car.

"I need the car to be cleaned and polished in two days from now." Toff ordered after a few minutes of silence, his eyes having had enough of the blurry trees and tall buildings. "I'm going to attend a school function and I'm taking someone with me."

"Yes, sir."

When they got home, Maria fussed over Toff when she found out that her little boy is having a date. He smiled genuinely this time and told the woman that it's not a big deal. The nanny is having none of it though, and she made sure that he looks his best for the dance.