Chapter 1

Everyone is buzzing around the home. There's going to be a new woman coming in today to see if she will adopt someone. The younger girls are working hardest to look their best. I hope one of them gets chosen. No one needs the life of an orphan.
No one knows the name of the mystery woman. It's strange really. Usually Ruthie would give us some sort of introduction into who the woman actually is. At least her name. But this time, the woman was a complete mystery to us.
I have to admit, I have a smidge of hope that I'll be chosen. Who knows, maybe my luck has changed.
Or maybe I'm just kidding myself.
"Annie! Annie!" Maysilee came up running to me. She was only a couple of years old so she thought Annie was my real name. "Sing! Sing!"
"You want me to sing munchkin? But you need to get ready for the nice lady coming today. Maybe she'll take you."
"But if I go, you no sing." Maysilee said, reaching up to me to pick her up. "I like you sing."
I chuckled. "Ok, munchkin, you what do you want me to sing?"
"Rudolph!" She declared. Maysilee has been in the christmas spirit since winter break started.
"Ok there. Come on." I said as I set her down and she grabbed my hand. We walked to the room where ten year olds and up sleep. I got my guitar from under my bed. We sat down on the bed and I began strumming my guitar.
"Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer
Use to have a shiny nose.
And if you ever saw him
You might even say it glows."
Maysilee began to grin as she knew her part of the song was coming.
"And all of the other reindeer,
Use to laugh and call him names"
"Like Pinocchio!" Maysilee sang.
"They never let poor Rudolph,
Play in any reindeer games."
"Like Monopoly!" She exclaimed.
Other girls began to sit around us and sing along.
"Then one foggy, winter night,
Santa came to say.
Rudolph with your nose so bright,
Won't you guide my sleigh tonight."
"Ok girls." Ruthie said, coming into the room. "The lady's here. Get ready." She said tiredly. She must have been helping the girls clean their room.
"Who is it, Miss Ruthie?" Maysilee asked.
"It's a secret. You know that." Said Ruthie.
"Come on, munchkin. Let's head down to the kitchen."
"Ok." She said, grabbing my hand.
We all piled into the kitchen, awaiting for our name to be called to we could go take a silent interview. A silent interview isn't really what it sounds like. We just sat behind a screen while the potential adopter would sit on the other side and ask us questions. It made sure us kids were genuine in our answers.
Maysilee was up first and she hopped off to the room where we were being interviewed. Time flew by as I zoned out the world.
"Isabel?" Ruthie called my name.
I stood like a robot, knowing the routine by now. Walk in, answer questions, ask any questions if needed (there won't be, there never is), and leave.
I followed Ruthie to the interviewing room and sat down in the chair provided. The opaque screen was set up as usual, but on the other side, I still saw the glow of red hair on the other side.
A redhead? Hmm...
"Hello?" I say, trying to make my voice as polite as possible.
"Hi." The air became awkward after that. She had a country accent, interesting? She cleared her throat. "Tell me a little about yourself, sweetheart?"
"My name is Isabel. I'm sixteen years old, and I like broadway and country music." I said. I only gave trivial information of myself.
"Really? I actually love country music." She clears her throat again. "Hey, were you the one sing Rudolph the younger girls before I got here."
"You heard that?" I said, slightly embarrassed. She probably thinks I'm immature. Not that I hope to get adopted. "Yes, one of the younger girls wanted to hear it."
"Well it's great that you care about them."
"Well they really haven't had the best life. I mean, I'm the oldest one here and it was hard enough for me to be here. I want to do anything I can to make them feel better." I said, genuinely. It was true. I'd rather have any one of these girls be adopted than me. Their lives can still be saved.
"I think I have everything I need." She said, indicating she had nothing left to say. I stood from my chair and left the room. Something was still bothering me though. I knew her voice, but from where.