Blind Love 1

Blind Love 1

Ashley walked into the cafeteria with the throng of other popular cheerleaders. It was just another normal day of high school. Ashley laughed and carried on with her friends while other groups did the same. All the tables were full of happy teens except one. In the back corner sat Brandon Wells with his head down and alone.

***

"Whose that guy sitting in the corner all alone?" Ashley asked toward the end of lunch. She just noticed him and she felt oddly upset for the poor kid without anyone to sit with.

"Oh, he's the new kid," Ashley's friend Jess told her. "He was in my first block but he just sat in the back and stared at the wall all hour. He never even took his hood or sunglasses off. He seems like a real freak."

Ashley frowned. As much as she enjoyed cheering with Jess, she hated her negative attitude. The poor boy was new here and had nobody but those like Jess to insult him.

Ashley suddenly perked up

as an idea popped into her head. "I'm going to go talk to him."

"What?" Jess protested with a frown. "Why? He seems like an outcast. I'm sure he's fine on his own-"

"Nope. You can't change my mind now. Everyone needs a friend and I'm going to be his first," Ashley declares. She hops from her seat and begins making her way to the far corner of the cafeteria. Jess gives her a disapproving look, but Ashley brushes it off. She couldn't help it if she felt the need to make everyone feel welcome. She hated seeing people alone and had practically become the one man welcoming committee to new students.

Finally reaching the corner table, Ashley clears her throat. The new boy doesn't even flinch, so Ashley tries again.

"Ehm, my name is Ashley. I just saw you over here alone and decided to say hi. My friend tells me you're new. What's your name?" she asks cheerfully though she already knows.

Ashley stands there waiting for a response out of him for a good two minutes-she started counting the seconds. When it seems be will never respond she continues, "Um, Brandon-that's your name, right? Are you okay? You haven't said anything or lifted your head..." While she rambled, the lunch end bell rang. Students began jumping from their seats and rushing out of the doors. When Ashley looked back down at Brandon, she saw their counselor bent before him speaking in his ear. Ashley wanted to stay and see if Brandon would ever respond, but the counselor shooed her away and to class. Ashley exhales heavily. She wanted to get through to this new kid, but it would have to wait for later.

***

Sitting in her drama class right after lunch, Ashley sighed without paying much attention to her surroundings. She didn't enjoy this class and sat at a table by herself. She doodled on her notebook while waiting for the teacher to begin the lesson. She was late, out in the hall talking to someone.

Finally, the classroom door opened and in walked Ms. Miley. She smiled to the class and stood up on her stage in the front-she was very theatrical, but hey, this is drama class.

"Class, I know you're all heartbroken to start class a little late, but I had something to attend to. Today, we have a new student. Mr. Brandon Wells. I expect you all to be welcoming to him," she finished, jumping down dramatically to the ground and to the door to bring Brandon in.

Ashley felt excitement fill her. So this class wouldn't be so bad after all. With the only open seat being next to her, she was determined to get the new boy to talk to her and befriend him.

As Jess described, Brandon came in with his hood up and dark sunglasses covering his eyes as Ms. Miley led him in with the counselor trailing behind. She walked with him to the open seat beside Ashley while talking quietly to him. She made sure he was comfortable before gliding to the front of the room and speaking rapidly while the counselor slipped out unnoticed.

Ashley remained quiet through the lesson, amazed by how Brandon could sit so still all period without ever waving his gaze from the dull wall. When they finally were cut free for homework time, she continued her interrogation of Brandon from lunch.

"Brandon? Hey, it's me from lunch. So, I just want to be your friend, I don't understand why you're ignoring me..." Ashley trails off as she sees him rest his head on the table as he did at lunch. Why is he so dead set on ignoring her?

The rest of the class period Ashley sat there pondering what she's done wrong. She's rather hurt, no one has even been so cold to her. She leaves class confused only to find she has the rest of her afternoon classes with him. He acted the same through them-never paying attention or communicating with anyone. Ashley groans to herself. This boy is a puzzle and she never leaves a puzzle unsolved. 'One way or another, he and I are going to be friends.' she thought.

.

.

.

.

Vote/comment. -Let me know what you think!