Chapter Eight

Wirt's POV:

"Beatrice, no!" I pushed her off of me.

"What?"

"No! I am dating Dipper."

"That's absurd!"

"Whatever, good bye and you can't have your dress back either." I took my pile of clothes and ran out the door.

"Dipper? Dipper?! Dipper, please!" I cried out. "He probably hates me now." I yelled, annoyed that I didn't see that coming.

"I don't hate you." He said from somewhere.

"Dipper?" I called out. I saw his still silhouette within the trees. I ran over to him.

"You seem like quite the ladies man..." He wouldn't even look at me.

"I don't want to be a ladies man, I want to be your man."

He snifled.

"I know you are worried, I would be too. But trust me, I would never hurt you on purpose. Beatrice kissed me and I should've seen it coming. That does not mean it happened though, and I'm sorry it did. But trust me Dipper, I love you." I explained.

"Can you please explain everything now?" He finally looked at me.

"Yeah, sure." I reached out my hand and wiped the tears on his face. "It all started wh-"

"What are you two doing here?! Don't you know the beast is afoot?!" A familiar gruff voice from behind cut me off.

"I thought we defeated the beast?" I asked confused.

"We were wrong. The beast cannot be nullified. There is no way out. There is only the forest and there is only surrender. Once the lantern was relit, he came back." He explained in a very serious tone.

"Wirt, what does he mean by the beast?" Dipper looked scared.

"Come with me, boys I shall give you shelter tonight." The woodsman said acknowledging how dark it is getting.

"The beast is- is... I don't know how to explain it. But I promise I will tell you that later."

He frowned at me but then took my hand as we followed the Woodsman.

"Make yourself comfortable, you can have the room on the left. Anna, we have guests!" He called out.

"Wait, you got your daughter back?"

"Yes, father? I am in the kitchen cooking dinner. We will have extra for visitors." She replied from the kitchen.

"Yes, everything was great.. Until the lateen was relit. I don't know who has the lantern though..." The Woodsman went into the kitchen.

"I'm guessing you know her too?" Dipper grumbled.

"Actually, no." I winked.

"So you were going to explain..."

"Oh, yeah... It all started with a girl named Sara..." I began telling him the entire story. He sat there silently nodding along.

"Wow." He said when I finished.

"You probably think I'm crazy..."

"Actually no, when I was twelve I found this journal..." He began to talk about this journal that talks about all of the strange anomalies in Gravity Falls.

"So it seems like we both deal with pretty scary things."

"Yeah... Oh my gosh, does this mean we are dead?!"

"No, not yet..."

"Oh no, what about Mabel?"

"I'm s-"

"Dinner's ready!" Anna announced.

We went into the kitchen only to see Ana and the Woodsman sitting at the table.

We ate vegetable stew with sourdough bread in silence as Dipper lightly played footsie underneath the table. Neither of us were very hungry because of our 'wedding'.

After dinner Dipper and I headed to our room, where the Woodsman lit a fire in the fireplace. We sat down on the floor in front of the crackling fire.

"Wirt, can you tell me a poem?" Dipper asked seeming off and forlorn.

"Hmm? Oh, yeah, uh sure..." I reached for his hand and began to create a poem for him.

"My heart is a campfire
And you're the kerosene
I only light up
When you're next to me

My fire goes out
When the stars leave the sky
For only the stars
Are found in your eyes

The smoke and sparks
Is how I know
When I'm with you;
Its real"

"Wirt?" He asked.

"Yeah?" My heat pounded.

"I love you."

I blushed. "I love you too."

It was silent with the exception of the crackling sparks.

"Wirt?" He asked again.

"Yeah?"

"I'm scared we will get stuck here." His face was twisted with worry.

"Me too." I agreed until I realized he needed comfort. "But I will try everything we can to get back."

"What if we can't?"

"At least we'll be together." I pulled him into a safe hug.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Authors note:

Wirt's poem in this chapter was written by my dear friend dreamofdylan Go follow her :)