Part One

This was the first Christmas Phil and I had ever spent together. Well, there’s been at least two since we met, but those were spent skyping on a dim blurry screen. Earlier this year we decided to become roommates and moved into a Manchester flat together. Everything has been great so far. I have never been happier. Only thing is… I have no idea what to get my best friend for Christmas and there's less than a week left.

I woke up at 9:34am on Monday morning. I stretched out my arms and yawned. The bright morning light filled my room through the window. I looked at my phone. December 21st. This Friday is Christmas day. I threw my blanket off me and swung my legs over the side of my bed. Phil was probably up by this time so I ventured into the loft.

I walked out of my room while pulling on a baggy tshirt to hide my bare chest. I adjusted my sweats and strolled into the hallway. I was halfway into the living room until I heard crunching coming from the kitchen. I went into the kitchen and found my raven haired best friend leant against the counter in his green muppet pajamas eating my favorite cereal! “Phil!” I called out.

He jumped and nearly spilt the whole box of crisps all over the tiled floor. He spun around and gave me a weak smile. “Sorry, I got hungry.” I put my hand on my hip and glared at him.

“What about your own cereal? Why don’t you eat-” I grabbed Phil’s box and peered inside. “It’s empty.” He gave me another guilty smile. I laughed. “Get dressed. We’re gonna go buy you like a million boxes so you’ll stop eating mine!” I snatched the box from his hands and walked back towards my room.

“Like that will happen.” I heard Phil snicker from the hallway. I chuckled and closed my door.

I dressed in my trusty pair of black skinny jeans and my grey bear sweater. I put on my shoes, caught up on my hygiene, grabbed a coat then met Phil in the hall. “Ready?” I asked with a smile. He nodded as I pocketed the keys, my phone and wallet. Phil was wearing his pair of dark skinny jeans to match mine, a white graphic tee and his black and blue jacket. He pushed his fringe away from of his perfect, pale face. I was lost in his gorgeous cerulean eyes.

“Dan?” He called from the door. “Aren’t you ready?”

I cleared my throat and blushed a small bit. “Yeah!” I said almost too enthusiastically. 

We made our way towards town and decided to do some last minute Christmas shopping. Phil had told me he already got my gift because I come first on his list. I felt guilty. I hadn't bought or even tried looking for his. It's not that I don't put him first, of course I do! I just have absolutely no clue what to get him.

Phil went into a book store. I followed. He bought our friend PJ Liguori a comic book of his favorite franchise. I bought Chris Kendall a funny prop that I'm sure he'd love. Phil and I also purchased gifts for our other friends. We decided we'd mark the gifts from us both. Dan and Phil. The inseparable duo.  After we bought for our friends, we went off to buy for our own families. I bought my mum some chocolates and a cute festive stuffed bear. I got my dad a gift card to a manly repair shop and my brother a video game from GameStop. I checked a few more friends off of my mental list. Only one left. Phil. I sighed and looked around for some gift inspiration. Nothing. Why was it so hard to shop for the one person I care about the most? Maybe it's because I'm scared he won't love it. He must, as long as it's from me right?

After about 20 minutes or so I met up with Phil at the Starbucks in the store. He had multiple bags full of gifts for his friends and family. I had two. I'm not much of a shopper. I usually get what I need and get out.

“So how'd your shopping go?” Phil smiled, snapping me from my thoughts.

“Oh, erm, well, it was good I guess.” I looked down at my Caramel drink. “I got gifts for my family and a few close friends.”