Chapter 38

The nights before the chunnin exam, Yuma could not get any sleep. This caused darkness to settle beneath her crimson eyes, making her look gaunt and sickly.

Kakashi would ask why she wasn't sleeping well, she'd lie, and say she didn't know. However, the truth was she felt terrible. The Akumuchi was stirring restlessly, and Yuma felt that it was because she had yet to make up with Grampa Saru.

She had to do it. Had to be brave and face him. She had to.

Her mind was set as she woke the day before the exams. Her very being ached as she struggled to contain the ravenous beast within.

She drug her feet as she dressed in her favorite spider themed dress, scrubbed her teeth, and brushed the unruly tangles from her hair.

"What's up, kiddo? You seem a bit out of it," Kakashi greeted as the lethargic child slunk into the kitchen and sat with a plop at the table, setting her head down.

"The stupid demon is making my body hurt," her small voice yawned. "Why won't it just go away? I don't want it."

Kakashi sighed heavily, setting his hand on her head and stroking her head in a comforting gesture. "Sorry Yuma..." He muttered, fully aware that her birthday was the next day, and feeling the dread fill his heart at the fact that she may not live through it. "Stay strong."

Yuma sighed. She was almost sick and tired of fighting it. A part of her wanted to give in, accept the evil, and allow the Akumuchi to slaughter every one and everything in the village.

But... The other part, the part that loved her friends too much to allow that- though it was weakly doing so- fought off the darker part of her.

"Okay, Kashi," she sighed heavily.

He bent down, planting a gentle kiss on her hair. "What do you say we go out for breakfast today? Hm?"

She lifted her head, sending him a slight grin. "That sounds like fun!"

He chuckled, patting her head affectionately as she got up and followed him out the door.

After breakfast, Yuma stopped as they came upon the tower. Kakashi stopped walking past the building as he felt the resistance on his hand, and looked back to Yuma, who was staring uncertainly at the tower, the Hokage's office window.

"Yuma?" He called softly.

"I have something I need to do..." She whispered, releasing his hand. "I have to apol-Ack!"

Kakashi's eyes widened as her small hand flew to her stomach, her entire body hunching over as though she'd been punched.

"Ka-Kakashi..." Yuma groaned. "W-What's h-happening?!"

She fell to her knees, and Kakashi knelt beside her and she coughed up blood, a panicking light in his eye.

"Yuma!?"

No, this couldn't be happening! It was a day early! It wasn't even her birthday yet!

"What's happening!" Sarutobi yelled, running from the tower and toward the duo as villagers gathered around.

Yuma screamed, clawing at her stomach in agony as she began beating her head against the ground.

"Yuma!" New voices cried as her team, and Shikamaru's team pushed through the crowd.

"It's happening!" Kakashi informed the Hokage. "It's trying to escape!"

"No! Get Yuma, we have to hurry so the Akumuchi doesn't escape!" He ordered.

The villagers began panicking.

"Kill it! Kill it!"

"Get rid of the girl!"

"Who cares about her life! What about ours!?"

"SILENCE!" The Hokage shouted, his voice filling the air and leaving silence in its wake. "Go to your homes, NOW!"

"Yuma, Yuma look at me, please," Shikamaru pleaded, wrapping his hands around her smaller one.

Her pain-squinted eyes focused on him. "S-Shika...? Atch!" She bit her lip to keep from screaming as crimson tears flowed freely down her face. "I-It hurts!"

"We have to get her home..." Kakashi muttered.

"Asuma, go to the office and get the potion. Bring to Kakashi's house, and hurry!" The Hokage ordered.

"Right!"

Mere moments later, we see Yuma on her bed, writhing in agony as she released a blood curdling scream. The only ones in the immediate area were Shikamaru, Kakashi, the Hokage. Her team, Shikamaru's team, all stayed in the living room, trying to stay strong.

"Hold on Yuma!" Kakashi whispered, running his fingers through her hair.

"Don't let that demon beat you, Yuma," Shikamaru urged.

"I've got it!" Asuma announced, bursting into the room with a syringe.

"Hand it here!" The Hokage ordered, taking the needle before looking at Yuma's pained expression. "Yuma, dear, hang on a bit longer." He inserted the needle into the girl's neck.

She suddenly stilled, eyes opened wide as she inhaled with horrifying force.

"Yuma...?" Shikamaru whispered hesitantly.

Slowly, oh so slowly, her head turned to face the spiky haired boy. Her eyes were glossy, began to glow demonically, and soon welled with crimson tears. Her hair began to turn abyss black, the hue crawling from the roots and extending to the ends. Shikamaru winced as something dug into his hand, and looked down to see her nails growing into claws.

"Get back!" Someone shouted, and Asuma grabbed the boy, pushing himself between the two.

Darkening rose petal lips curved into a blood thirsty grin, and deep, spine rattling laughter met their ears.

"She's gone!" The beast once known as Yuma cackled as the forsaken girl's friends and family watched in horror.