Chapter 1

"THIS THING IS BREAKING MY ASS!" Keith screams as a Charger pummels him to the ground just a couple feet away from the survivors.

"Fuck! Keith I'm coming!" Nikki screams, running towards the Southerner. "Shoot the charger!" He screams as the Charger picks him up and throws him on the ground multiple times. Nikki reaches behind her back to get her AK-47 machine gun as James follows behind her walking backwards in case any infected pop out of nowhere. Nikki aims for the infected's head and pulls the trigger until the charger falls to the ground dead. Keith falls to the ground incapacitated. "I know you're hurt, but we gotta move." She says helping him up. "Much obliged." Keith says limping towards the other two.

"I thought this street was secure?" James says angrily. "Looks like there's been a change of plans." Jamie says huffing out her words. "There's a pharmacy not too far from here. We can pick up a couple med kits there and some food. We're running low." Nikki says. Jamie walks over to Keith sadly and puts her pistols in her belt loops. "Are you okay?" She asks, her eyes turning bright green. "Never been better. I just need help walking." He says looking up at her. She nods and lets Keith lean on her as they all start to walk to the pharmacy.

James and Nikki were leading the way with Jamie and Keith behind them. They walked among the piles of dead bodies. The four didn't really care much about anything now. They all had gotten used to it.  "This is some grim shit we got ourselves into." Nikki sighs out kicking a dead zombie out of her way. She cringes as a squish fills her ears. James takes a hold of her left hand and pulls her towards him. Face to face, toe to toe, they look into each others eyes. "Why would you say that?" He looks up at her with deep green eyes trying to let her mind escape from the tragic world it has turned itself into.

"Look at where we are James. Look around!" She says her eyes tearing up a bit, but she blinks them away. "Well," He says looking around. "We're on a street." He says being a smart ass. Nikki pushes him away laughing a bit. "The Pharmacy is right up the street. It shouldn't take us long." She says rolling her eyes walking with James by her side. Keith stops walking when Nikki and James are in the store. "Why'd you stop?" Jamie asks looking up at him. "Because we're finally alone." Keith says smiling brightly. Jamie is still confused. "Wha-" Keith cuts her off mid sentence by kissing her softly. She is caught off guard but she kisses him back deeply. Keith pulls away slowly. "Your brother would have shot me right on the spot." Jamie nods in agreement."We should go in. we really need to get you fixed up." He groans in pain as they continue walking.

"I'll get the Medkits. You get the food." Nikki says walking towards the pharmacy. "I'll meet you at the register." James screams for her to hear. Nikki starts fast walking towards the med kits as she notices how quiet it is. It was usually really crowded. She grabs one medkit and runs to find James. He has a pack of Granola Bars in his hands along with a couple bags of Doritos and some instant oatmeal. "This is really weird...It's usually loud." James nods. "We're the only ones in here except..." He doesn't finish his sentence instead he motions towards a boy in a red shirt, and denim jeans. "Zach." Nikki says mesmerized.

Zach was Nikki's ex-boyfriend. One day, she woke up and Zach was gone. After seven years of being together he packed up his things and left her, out of the blue. No explanation. He just left.

Nikki walks up to the line Zach was working at and sets her stuff on the table for him to check out. James does the same. Zach looks at the things they were buying. "Only one med kit?" He asks looking up at what used to be his prized possession. "yeah? Keith's hurt." She says looking back at him. Right on cue Keith and Jamie walk in the store. "I thought you'd be packing up to go to the Evac center in Whispering Oaks." Nikki's eyes widen along with James's. "There's an Evac center?" All four of them say at the same time.

"Yeah. I just said that." James reacts quickly by getting four medkits, four flashlights, and some ammo for every ones guns. He returns with his arms full and he drops everything on the table. "Whoa wait a minute." Nikki starts. "You think we're going to just go out and risk our lives for something that might not even be there?"

"Yup." James says no caring about her opinion.  "We're safe as it is." Nikki looks up at him.

James lets out a sigh and looks down at her. He rests his hands on her shoulders. "Baby," James looks down at the floor. Zach checks out everything and Jamie takes the bag. Keith hands him the money. Zach looks up at James as he hears the word 'baby'. "We'll be safer there. They'll take care of us. I know it. It's a once in a lifetime chance. There will be safe houses on the way. Please." He begs. "I just want all of us to be safe. Please. For them." He motions to Jamie and Keith. Jamie is helping Keith fix himself up. Nikki looks away still unsure. "For us." James uses his finger to lift up her chin so she's looking him in the eyes. "Fine." She sighs out as she goes on her tip toes to kiss him. James knows Jamie and Keith aren't paying attention so he moves his hands from her waist down to her ass and squeezes it lightly. She lets out a sigh of satisfaction and James pulls her closer to him but is cut off by Zach clearing his throat.

"Sorry,' James says fake apoligizing, walking over to Jamie. He picks up two medkits and slings one over his back. "Nikki." He says getting her attention, throwing the first aid to her. She catches it and throws it over her shoulder. Zach's face reddens with anger and he gets up and starts walking towards Nikki."You stupid fucking whore!" he screams at her. She winces from his screaming and backs up a couple of feet until she's stopped by a wall.  "You're' such a slut!" Zach screams at her as James turns his head to see what the screaming was all about. "James.." Jamie says walking towards him. James just watches him for a couple of seconds until he hears a slap.

Zach brought his hand down on Nikki's right cheek leaving a red mark. She lets out a tiny squeek of pain as she holds her cheek and James's face turns bright red as a rage forms in his body.