Chapter 1

I opened the email, it was welcoming me to the institution and how they're excited for me to be apart of the school. I took a deep breath. "Nonna, I got accepted into a culinary school in the city" I said into the phone. I heard her squeal with excitement, "Amor, that's so exciting!" she said. I could hear her smile through the phone. "How do I tell my parents?" I asked quietly. My nonna was silent for a moment and sighed. "Just tell them the truth, that you're not going to be a dentist and you got accepted into a culinary school, that this is something you genuinely want to do" she said. "Nonna you know they won't go for that, they've planned out my life minute by minute" I groaned. "How about you give Owen a call? You always said he was inspiring, especially when it came to what your heart truly wants" she said and I leaned back in my chair. "You're right, I'll give him a call before I head downstairs" I said and she chuckled and said good bye. I pinched the bridge of my nose. She was right, if anyone knew how to stand up to people for what you want, it was Owen Wright. He was a sassy, intelligent goofball who didn't give a rat's ass about anyone else's opinion. He had come out as gay in front of his whole church and family on Christmas morning and sashayed out without a care in the world. I picked up my phone and scrolled to his contact. The Phone rang twice before he picked up.

"Ah my best friend finally calls to see how I'm doing!" he said dramatically into the phone. I cracked a smile. "Owen, I'm your only friend" I said and he gasped, obviously offended. "Rude, anyway what's up Ali?" he asked. "I got into culinary school, but I haven't told my parents yet" I said. "Oh shit, really?" he asked, his tone changing to a more serious one. "Yeah, I told my Nonna and she recommended I call you for motivation" I said and he giggled. "Hell yes, girl you got this! You've wanted this for so long! You just have to go downstairs and face your parents. Tell them you don't want to play in people's mouths for a living" he chanted into the phone.

 "What are your parents doing right now anyway?" he asked and I sighed. "Laura is having a party" I said. "And you parents are just okay with that?" he asked. I laughed, "Owen, my sister and brother are my parent's prized possessions, their golden children. If Laura or Jay said they wanted to be janitors, my parents would support it fully" I said. "Laura is too much of a spoiled bitch to ever be a janitor, not to mention she would sleep with every hot guy she came across" Owen said and I smiled. He was right, my sister did get around. "I hate that your parents are such assholes toward you, you're the baby of the family, I would think you'd be the golden child" Owen said and I sighed. The only family I had on my side was my twenty-two year old brother, Jay and my Nonna. My parents had twins, my brother and sister. I was unplanned and just an "extra expense".

"Is Jacob at the party?" Owen asked. I felt my cheeks start to flush. "Yeah, I think he is" I said. "You know, while you're essentially giving your parents the middle finger, you could tell Jacob how you feel" Owen suggested. "Why the hell would I do that?" I asked. He groaned, "Alice, its not like you haven't been in love with the guy since forever!" he exclaimed. I thought about him. Jacob Reece Collins, my brother's best friend. Fluffy dark brown hair and stunning blue eyes. "Owen he doesn't even know I exist" I said. "I bet if you flashed him and told him you loved him, he would notice you" he retorted. "I'm not flashing him in the middle of a party!" I whisper yelled into the phone. 

We sat in silence for a moment, "Hun its time to tell your parents, if you want to wait till I get there, you can but it has to happen today" he said softly. "Okay, yeah I'll wait till you're here" I said. "Sounds good, I'll be there in five" he said before hanging up. I stood from my desk and stretched. I walked over to the mirror in my room. I put on a white long sleeve and brushed out my long brown hair. I did feel out of place, my siblings were blessed with clear skin, dark black hair and my sister had enchanting dark eyes while my brother had light green eyes. I had brown hair and dark green eyes, and had acne and braces in middle school and most of high school. My siblings were three years older than me, and my parents put them on a pedestal. I spent most of my time at my Nonna's house. She and I would cook and bake to our heart's content. Food had become a passion and brought joy to myself and others.

I took a deep breath, I had to head downstairs. I turned towards the door while sliding my phone into my back pocket and headed down. Laura was glued to the side of a hot guy and she sent me a glare. I ignored it and felt myself looking for a certain blue eyed boy. I scanned the crowd and I found him, blushing when his eyes met mine. He shrugged and walked toward the kitchen. Laura noticed him walking away and detached herself from the other guy to follow as Owen walked in the door.

"Hey" he said and hugged me. "You ready to tell the parents?" He asked and ruffled my hair.

"Do I have a choice?" i asked. He shook his head and we made our way toward the kitchen where my brother, sister and crush were standing. My parents were talking at the counter. "Mom, dad?" I said and they both turned and glared at me. "What do you want Alice?" my mother asked annoyed. "I got accepted into a culinary school in the city" I said and the room became still and quiet. The atmosphere was tense, like a bomb was about to go off.

"What?" My father seethed. Owen put a hand on my lower back, calming me. "Yeah, I got accepted, in Manhattan, I applied and got in" I said and they glared at me. My mother looked like I had slapped her. My father's fist was clenched tightly around his wine glass. "Well, I won't pay for you to go to a cooking class, you're going to be a dentist, end of story" my father said shortly.

"No, I'm not, I am not being a dentist, you both have planned out my life without caring about what I want. I'm not your puppet nor will I continue to sit quietly while you both bully me" I said and he stilled, his icy eyes staring me down.

I heard a moan from the corner of the room and turned. Laura was making out with Jacob. Jay looked sadly at me, knowing I had fallen in love with him. Owen glared and walked over to them. "She's gonna give you herpes dude, stay away from the walking std, yeah?" Owen snapped at Jacob. Laura glared at him.

"Get out" my mother said. We all turned to her. "What?" I asked. "GET OUT, GET YOUR FUCKING ASS OUT OF MY HOUSE" my mother screamed. It felt like a brick hit me in the chest, my mother went to get in my face. I turned and quickly walked out of the room, Owen tailing behind me. "Hey! All you'll ever be is a disappointment! Good luck getting fat, useless bitch" My sister yelled from across the room. All of their friends at the party laughed at me. Jacob held Laura's hand. "And all you'll ever be is the town slut" I snapped as I felt tears threaten to slip down my cheeks. I ran upstairs and packed all my stuff in a bag.

Owen came in behind me and took my bag from me. "Hey doll face, I'm so sorry, come, I'll take you to nonna's house" he said and took my hand. He led me downstairs and everyone watched me leave. We made our way down the driveway as my family watched me from the door. I got into Owen's silver car. Jay made a heart sign toward me and mouthed "I love you". "Bye Bitch!" Laura screamed, earning a glare from my brother, he said something to her, I couldn't hear but she flipped him off. Owen started the car and drove down the road. I knew my parents wouldn't accept me going to culinary school but to practically disown me was a whole new unexpected level. A single tear slipped down my cheek as I buried my head into my knees. Owen placed a hand on my back, "You'll have the life you've always wanted soon enough" he said. I really hope he's right.