Chapter 37- The Jock

“Steven. Steven. Get up. We’re here,” Jasper’s voice awoke me from my dreamless sleep. I opened my eyes and stretched.

“What time is it?” I asked looking around. I had expected it to be dark or at least sunset by the time we would get here.

“6:17pm eastern time zone,” he answered opening his door and getting out.

Oh, yeah. Different time zones. I opened the passenger door, and got out, closing it carefully. The long car ride was uneventful; Jasper and I just basically talked about cars, food, and had a heated debate on whether or not girls should be able to use menstruation as an excuse to be crabby for a whole week. He was actually a cool person, and he didn’t grill me with questions about Lena and me.

I looked up at the house in front of me; it was pretty big, with a front lawn that looked like it should be on the cover of Better Homes and Gardens. “Your sister is loaded,” I turned and said to Jasper.

“She married into it,” he said with a shrug before walking up the pathway to the house. I followed him and when we finally reached the door, he knocked twice then rang the doorbell.

I heard footsteps come up to the door and soon enough it swung open. But instead of Lena being there or even a woman, it was a guy. He smiled broadly. “Jasper! I didn’t know you were coming to visit,” the guy said pulling Jasper into a tight hug.

Jasper laughed, “It wasn’t really planned. Martha didn’t even know we were coming.”

“A surprise then,” he looked between the two of us, “Oh, sorry, I’m being rude. Come on in.” He stepped aside and Jasper and I walked into the giant entrance. I looked around at the extravagantly designed space in awe. I mean the outside didn’t even show the extent of how rich Lena’s aunt must be.

The guy closed the door behind us and turned around. “Oh, yes. Steven this is Alec, Alec this is Steven,” Jasper introduced the two of us to each other.

“It’s nice to meet you Steven,” Alec reached out his hand; I took it and shook it firmly. It was only then I realized he had an accent, but I couldn’t tell what it was. His looks definitely didn’t help at all, he had dark hair and dark eyes with not really tan skin but not really pale skin. He definitely looked like he wasn’t related to Jasper. So, so far, I was clueless.

“So are you a friend of Lena’s?” I asked him.

“Yes, we’ve known each other for a while. I’m a foreign exchange student from Russia; I stayed with Martha, Lena’s Aunt, for year in my junior year of high school. I loved it here, so my parents would let me fly over every summer to stay over here, and be with everyone. Since I graduated, I decided to go to college in the states. Martha offered to let me stay here and I got a full scholarship to Georgia Tech,” he explained.

“We were all here when he got his acceptance letter,” Jasper said smiling proudly, like Alec was his own son, “He’s a year older than you and Lena.”

“That’s cool,” I said nodding slightly.

“So how do you know Lena?” Alec asked.

“I’m her boyfriend,” I said simply.

“Oh,” Alec looked confused, “She said you guys had broken up.”

“We have, well temporarily. I came here with Jasper so I could explain everything.”

“And you’re sure she wants to see you?”

“Yes, there’s no reason she wouldn’t,” I replied looking at Alec. Who does this guy think he is?