eight: saying that you shouldn't waste your pretty face like me?

lena olivia richards

At home, life isn't any better. Her father is drinking again, which only makes his mood swings worse. He, of course, takes it out on her. But she feels she deserves it for acting the way she does and doing the things she does. Why else would he take his anger out on her.

Her brothers cling to her chest when they hear their father throw his empty glass bottles at the wall. Her heart sinks as her youngest brother starts to cry. His sobs echo in her dark room. She kisses his forehead and promises things will get better.

But it's an open promise because she knows things may not get better, and that reality scares her like nothing else.

In school the next day, she comes in with another read mark on her cheek and bruises up her arm. Luke sees her and frowns. He knows something is wrong, but the last time he said something, she completely turned him down. She doesn't like attention about her injuries. Hell, she doesn't like attention about anything, but this makes it worse.

Luke knows that, so he doesn't say anything to her today. But on the inside, he wishes he got to know her more when he had the chance.