A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 31

I'm soooo sorry it took me this long, but here's the next chapter! I actually had this done a while ago, but I thought it was abrupt, so I've attempted to make it better. I'm not sure I was successful, but happy reading!!

Also, I just wanted to say that “Dreaming of Darcy” is now available as an ebook on Lulu.com and on the iBookstore and for Nook. I would love for you guys to check it out and rate/review it on those sites as well as Goodreads if possible :) Let me know if you'd like more information!!

I am going to assume that since you've made it this far, you have ready my disclaimer. 

As always, I would appreciate any form of feedback. Please vote and fan if you like it, and comment even if you don't. Thanks for reading!

Above all, thank you to my loyal fans who read, comment, and vote no matter what!! 

A Duke and A Damsel

Chapter 31

-----

Blake saw a carriage outside the Sheridan residence and looked pleadingly at Arjun. Arjun shook his head and kept walking towards the front door.

“But clearly she has company...and I think that belongs to Lady Weston.”

“Even better,” Arjun replied with no hesitation.

Blake shot him a questioning look.

“How is that better?”

“You can profess your undying love and devotion to Emma in front of her and whoever else she's brought with her. All the society matrons will be twittering about it by lunchtime, and any scandal that might have occurred will thus be prevented.”

“You're joking, right?” Blake asked him.

Arjun glared at him.

“Do I sound like I'm joking?”

Blake sighed and said, “I can never tell with you. Sometimes I think I wish you were joking and just interpret it that way. Like right now, for example...”

“Sorry, mate, no chance you're getting out of this. Now stop babbling and knock on the door. It's time for you to try out those acting skills you acquired from that class we took in school. Although I don't think you'll need to tap into those skills very much,” Arjun replied slyly.

This time Blake glared at him.

“You are so irritating. I don't even know why I'm friends with you,” Blake said, hoping to bait Arjun into an argument to buy him a few more minutes.

“Because no one else would play with the stuck up English boy in the humongous house at the end of the road,” Arjun retorted.

Blake's frown deepened.

“I'm not stuck up.”

“You're not now, but you were back then. Thank goodness you met me, or else you would have been terribly insufferable forever. It would have been a shame really.”

“Excuse me, but I have done quite a lot for this friendship,” Blake replied, affronted.

“Of course you have. Now stop stalling. I'm perfectly aware that you were picking a fight just to buy yourself some time. I was merely humoring you, duffer. Get that unattractive expression off your face now and knock or ring the doorbell, please. I don't have all day.”