Thirteen

Jenn and J. Lee were back at the hotel. When the two girls returned, Ben was sitting in the living area, flipping through the case files for the hundredth time, while Ray was staring off into space yet again

"Finally," Ben said, putting the files aside as he got up and stretched his body. "What took you so long?"

"We just enjoyed talking to Turner. That's all," Jenn muttered sarcastically, walking around him to get a good look at Ray. He seemed weird.

Ben whirled around to face her. "Pardon?" There was a hint of jealousy in his tone.

"We went to speak to the victim's family," J. Lee said, watching him with mild amusement. "We've found some interesting clues." Then she walked into the office.

When he heard what J. Lee said, he looked at Jenn with a lopsided smile. "So did you really enjoy talking to Turner or were you trying to make me jealous?"

Jenn turned to him with a look of absurdity. "I was just being sarcastic. Don't flatter yourself." She rolled her eyes, turning back to Ray. "Hey, are you okay?"

Seeing this, Ben pressed his lips into a thin line, feeling annoyed. There she was again, fussing over the kid. Though he knew that Ray Darce was just a year younger than he was, he couldn't help but feel that Ray was acting like a kid. What was with all the insecurity and weird act, anyway? Perhaps the kid just loved the attention. Ben clenched his teeth and strode towards the office. When Jenn didn't move, he asked, "You coming?"

Jenn shook her head, never taking her eyes off Ray. "It's okay. Proceed without me. I've gotten what I need to know."

Ben frowned. "What are you going to do with him?"

Jenn turned to give him an impatient look. "What? You afraid that I'm going to kiss him again?"

At the mention of the kiss, Ben felt a huge ball of jealousy flare inside him. He balled his hands into fists but managed to maintain his calm expression. "No need to get all sarcastic. I was just asking," he muttered. There was a distinct edge to his voice.

Jenn bit her lips and groaned inwardly. She had not meant to say that to him. Honestly, she didn't what was she thinking to cause her to say those words. Anyway, Jenn got a hold of herself and exhaled deeply. "Well, I want to find out how Ray managed to go back into a trance under your watch," she stated in a calmer tone.

Ben widened his eyes and turned his gaze to the kid. Ray was in a trance state? But how?

"No need to look so surprised," Jenn muttered, mostly to herself, turning her attention back to Ray. "He must have done this himself, considering the fact you're not capable of inducing a trance on a person and there was no one else here when I was gone."

Ben didn't even notice that there was anything wrong with the kid until Jenn pointed it out. What a great babysitter he was. "Sorry, I didn't realise," he tried to apologise. When Jenn didn't make any response, he sighed and went into the office, shutting the door silently behind him.

Jenn waited until Ben was out of sight and then she heaved a sigh. Only he could make her feel guilty for being sarcastic. When she saw the hard expression on his face after she mentioned the kiss, her conscience kicked in. She didn't even know why she felt bad about it. Compared to what he said to her six months ago, this was nothing.

Jenn blinked and stopped that train of thought right there. Whoa, that was close. Shaking her head, she quickly dismissed those distracting thoughts. She took a deep breath to clear her mind. Then she put her focus on the person in front of her.

"Ray, can you hear me?" She made sure to lower her voice and keep it serene enough to reach into his unconscious mind. She kept her eyes on his, observing his fixated stare waver the slightest bit when she spoke to him. Then she gently held onto his wrist, feeling for his pulse.