The Call

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~❶~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I'm about to load up into my plane, having a little test run for Ferris Air when my phone goes off. "Jordan," I answer harshly.

"When's the last time you're heard from Barry, Jordan," A voice says. "You used to get a call every month, but now it's been almost a year and a half."

"Kilowog, he's probably just been busy. Crimes don't solve themselves. I have to go, can we talk later?"

"So you really don't know?"

I sigh and pass my handover my face. "Don't know what? I have to go, hurry up."

"I heard that a man was struck by lightning in his lab at the precinct. Went into a coma for nine months. Isn't your friend the CSI that works the lab at Central?"

I almost drop my helmet. "Is he alright?"

Kilowog lets out a chuckle, "I only just heard. Reminded me of that story you told about him, figured I'd ask. I don't know anything else. Sorry, Pal."

"Thanks for the heads up. I gotta go, though. I'll look into it."

"No prob."

I hang up ad slide my phone back in my pocket, letting out a heavy sigh, filled with worry and nerves. I sit in the cockpit, and before I head out, I call Carol. "Hey Carol, I'm gonna need a couple days after this run. Just got some news about an old friend that was hurt. That okay?"

"Are you sure you're up for the run? You can't be distracted."

"I've got it covered."

"Alright. Take the time you need."

"Thanks, Carol." I hang up and put the helmet on.

"We're ready for takeoff when you are, Hal."

"Then let's get started."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After the run, which runs flawless, by the way, I run into Carol's office to see her there, the paperwork already ready for me. "Thanks again, Carol."

"Mind if I ask what's wrong?"

I sigh and put the pen down when I finish. "I just found out from a friend that my old college roommate was struck by lightning, fell into a coma for nine months, woke up and didn't think to even call. I want to make sure he's actually alright."

"I hope you find what you're looking for. Hurry back," Carol says as I leave.

"Thanks. Don't have too much fun while I'm gone."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I throw my things into a bag and sling it over my shoulder. I use my green lantern ring to change, flying over to just outside central city. I touch down and walk into the city, street lights shining the way. I find a hotel room and get some rest, planning to hunt Barry down tomorrow.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next morning, I wake up and head to the station. Before I can even walk in, I see Barry running out with his case. "Sorry!" he calls, but keeps running. I sigh, smiling as I follow him slowly. Guess he's late for something again. When he finally get there, I realize it's a crime scene. I watch as he stumbles for an excuse before going to start investigating and looking for evidence. After a while, he gets a call from someone and starts to look nervous.